Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Creation Problems

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
01rs25subaru
596 Views, 8 Replies

Grading Creation Problems

I have a Grading Plan that is getting increasingly unstable as time goes on... I used Grading creation tools to create 3:1 mounding for a stock pile that is on my site... there are a couple dozen mounds on the site for this stock pile...

My problem is when I go to edit any feature lines or Grading; the drawing just crashes and will not save my work... I ran an audit and it does not find anything... I need to get the grading done ASAP and this is a major hold up... Do I need to go back through and manual grade everything or is there a secret that I am missing???? this is sooo immensely frustrating...

I have read multiple forums on the matter with older version of Civil 3d... so this is to tell me that the problem has never been fixed with Autocad?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: 01rs25subaru

You've probably read suggestions to explode your gradings and re-create when necessary. That is still a good suggestion when you are having these issues.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
neilyj666

Grading objects are excellent when they behave but can be very buggy and cause instability in the drawing - save and save often when using them.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Ditto what everyone else says.

I have been having sucess with them is here are my rules for working with GO

1. if converting acad linework to FL's Map clean the heck out of them

2. avoid using acad linework for FL's (See item 1.)

3.be cautous of vertices, filet when practical

4. save before every grading command

5. audit, purge all, purge reg apps, save often (preferably after every grading command)

6. avoid prjecting out of surface range ( take some measurement or start steep and work out)

7. Keep it simple

I'm sure there is more but thats all for now

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

3.be cautous of vertices, filet when practical

Hi Joe,

Are you saying when dealing with feature lines, fillet the angle points? What's the specific reason for this? Does it help because it avoids using Civil 3d's internal corner handling?

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Tim

Its quasi scientific. I do often have angle point. Its just me trying to work clean. If I liken it to an alignment with a kink and try to get a station offset; the software takes a SWAG at it and I get palpatations when I see my grading fold back on itself. Quite frankly that should be numbe 8. Avoid grading into yourself

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 9
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

9. Save

10. Save, audit, save

11. Save, save, save.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

{WhileStillGrading} GOTO 4.

{Loop}

{Return}

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 9
KCCDCONSERVE

I have been having similar problems and like you said, grading has been an issue that hasn't been addressed and is frustrating. I decided to go through the tutorials again just in case I was missing something and even the tutorial drawings are buggy. When the Grading Creation Tools is open, I tried to resize that window to see all the properties of each command and the "Fill Slope Style" selection box disappeared. When I resized again to the original size, it reappeared. I tried to make it bigger again and the "Fill Slope Style" selection ended up in the "Select Grading Criteria" selection box location and the "Select Grading Criteria" ended up in the "Fill Slope Style" location. It really needs to be addressed. The grading operations are very handy and important, but almost impossible to use without ruining the project drawing. I will try to follow the 1-8 or 9 steps recommended, but would appreciate any and all other suggestions. I just now resized the window again and the "Select Grading Criteria" completely disappeared. Wow!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report