Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading AutoCAD Civil 3D

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
550 Views, 4 Replies

Grading AutoCAD Civil 3D

Hi everybody, 

I have a Project with at road and a Cul-de-sac. 

I created a Alignment/ Corridor/ Surface for the road Portion. 
And a Separate Alignment/ Corridor/ Surface for the Cul-de-sac Portion

During Training the instructor Briefly touched on using these surfaces to get Feature Lines to Create a new Surface to be used for the whole site. This new surface and feature lines will be much easier to edit and change than the two corridors. (Because they don't line up well) 

I'm having trouble with this. How do I create this feature lines and set all there elevations? 
I go to Grading Create Feature Lines and select things like edge of paving and driveways, but they all come in at zero elevation. 

Isn't there a tool to take a feature line and drape it over a surface so that it is set to that surface elevation?? 

If anyone is working on Civil3D even if you can't help me, give a shout, it would be great to hear from other people upgrading to Civil 3D .. 

Thanks,
Susan.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have a corridor then it will have feature lines within it that it uses to display the lines, like Edge of Pavement, Crown, Ditch, etc.  You can Extract these featurelines from the corridor which gives you a copy of whatever was in the corridor.

If you have a corridor surface then you can also drape a feature line onto it as you described.  Check out the Modify tab on the Ribbon - you might have to expand some of the panels to find the right button.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Project with at road and a Cul-de-sac. 

I created a Alignment/ Corridor/ Surface for the road Portion. 
And a Separate Alignment/ Corridor/ Surface for the Cul-de-sac Portion

I would've kept these as one corridor, so when you extract the featurlines they will (should) be contiguous.

During Training the instructor Briefly touched on using these surfaces to get Feature Lines to Create a new Surface to be used for the whole site. This new surface and feature lines will be much easier to edit and change than the two corridors. (Because they don't line up well) 

Not sure what they were trying to teach with this. I would just create a surface from the corridor(s) (just one for me, see above) and paste them into a new FG surface (pasting is done under the Surface Defintion, Edits). You can Extract Featurelines from the corridor which remain dynamic to the corridor, These will have the correct elevations and may be added to a surface, but these extra steps are not needed for basic corridor grading.

There are alot of people here who were 'new' at this at some point (ok, we ALL were new at some point 🙂 ). Just ask a well formulated question, with your version mentioned somewhere in there, and we will do our best to help you along. 

BTW, Steve is one of the most knowledgable corridor/grading users posting on here. You've done well to get his attention first! 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff - you're making be blush..  Smiley Tongue

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for your helpful suggestion 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report