Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade extension of feature line

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rustee4u
2321 Views, 13 Replies

Grade extension of feature line

We are working on a road widenign scheme where one edge of the road is retained as far as possible while  other edge being  widened. I like to design  a retained channel line by extending the cross fall between the existing centre line and the exiting channel line on to the design one.

It is possible in civil 3d to extend the gradient between two feature lines at some offset  from reference feature line?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
troma
in reply to: rustee4u

Do you mean two feature lines that are roughly parallel, and you want to grade between them?
If so, use a grading. You can grade at a slope to a set distance from one feature line, use that to create a surface and target the surface with a grading from the other feature line.
There are many options in the gradings that you can look into.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 14
rustee4u
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the reply,

Yes the two features lines are roughly parallel at a distance of 7m. I like to create a new feature line at an offset of 10m from the first line and at the same grade as between them.Just to clarify more I have attached the PDF showing  the problem in drawing. The existing grade G shown in the pdf is not constant instead varying. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 14
jmayo-EE

You can also select the feature line and go to the ribbon. Make sure the Edit Geometry panel is displayed and select the button for Stepped Offset. Provide the horiszontal offset and the %Grade,Slope,ElvDifferenece or elevation you require.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

The problem here is "The existing grade G shown in the pdf is not constant".
Say the two feature lines are at the same elevation at one end. Then one goes up and one goes down, then they both do whatever. The desired 10m offset featureline is not found by some known grade or elevation difference that can apply to the whole length. It needs to be at a different grade for every point along the way.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 14
troma

I have an idea, but it's quite messy.

Draw a featureline or 3Dpoly from every vertex on the first featureline snapped to perpendicular onto the second featureline. Then do the same from the second back to the first.
Offset the first feature line 10m, convert that to a 2Dpoly. Extend all the perpendicular featurelines or 3Dpolys out to this 10m polyline. Now draw your final featureline by snapping to the endpoints of all the perpendicular featurelines or 3Dpolys.

(I just thought; you could use plain old lines for the perpendicular job too.)

Mark Green

Message 7 of 14
jmayo-EE

Yep. Didn't read the first post agian. Doing this manually as you said is the only way I see to extend the existing gradiant.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
fcernst

This can easily be done with a simple corridor and two generic links, by passing the link slope from the first link to the second link, then extract the corridor feature line.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 14
troma
in reply to: fcernst

How do you run a corridor down a featureline?

Maybe...
Create alignment from entity.
Project object to profile view.
Trace the featureline in profile view with a profile.

Few steps involved, but probably less work than my method, depending on the number of vertices involved.  Also has the advantage of being dynamic (to the second featureline at least).

Mark Green

Message 10 of 14
fcernst

You don't need to. They can all just be Targets.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 14
rustee4u

Thanks all for your genuine and prompt responses.Some of them are really good advises and will use in future for sure.

For the current project lengh of the road is quiet big and time is severly less so I took help from other road design software MX to design the grade extend line and then import it in to C3D which works quiet well.

Thanks again

Message 12 of 14
fcernst

"...so I took help from other road design software..'

Ouch!....just like running to the arms of another man..

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 14
el.Topo

hi everyone,

in case you are still interested

there are 2 subassemblies that could do the job (the official way)

check them out

OverlayWidenMatchSlope1

This subassembly overlays one side of an existing road, and adds one or more travel lanes to the edge while matching the existing lane slopes.

& OverlayWidenMatchSlope2

This subassembly overlays an existing uncrowned road, and adds one or more travel lanes to the left and right edges while matching the existing lane slope.

"The elevations of the Left and Right Insert Points on the Existing Surface are determined, and the slope is calculated between the two points"

MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
Message 14 of 14
Joe-Bouza

This is what the OverlayWidem Subassembly does. you can set the overlay depth to 0 and only get the widen

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report