Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade break increments

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
evecin88
1320 Views, 5 Replies

Grade break increments

Hello all, this may have a simple solution but I just can't get it. 

I have a profile set up with a surface an alignment and a Water Main. I would like to place grade breaks (Using Profile labels) every 100' along the surface however the increment field isn't available for grade breaks. Weeding doesn't help becuase it needs to be exactly every 100' I was thinking of creating an expression for it however I still haven't reached that level of expertise.

Thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: evecin88

Only thing I can think of is to create new profile with pvi points every 100' then add profile labels with referenced text. Ref the master profile levels. It will probably work but I can't try as there's no mobile version of c3d yet :).

You really need to dig into the styles to do this so google referenced text.

Another option is to create a dummy corridor with 100' intervals and extract cl levels as points. Superimpose these and you have it. Not dynamic so will need adjustments every design change.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 6
rendarin

Just to clarify, do you mean you want to add grade break at regular intervals, or grade break LABELS on a straight profile?

If it's the latter, why not use the Major Stations type profile label and set it to 100'. Then just create a new Major Sations style that shows what you want. That way you won't have to induce an actual grade break whenever you want a label to occur

Weeding (if I understand correctly) works differently, such that if you have it set to 100' and have two consecutive line segments less than 100', then those two will be joined as one. Somebody may have to correct me on that as I don't usually mess around with weeding options.
Message 4 of 6
evecin88
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks Mike! I haven't played with referenced text much. I looked into it and it looks interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't help being that I need a label in the plan view for horizontal breaks so I'm not really referencing information from anywhere else.
Message 5 of 6
evecin88
in reply to: rendarin

Thanks rendarin, I was trying to avoid manual work however AutoCAD doesn't have the necessary expressions available for me to label horizontal breaks. Thank you for the response.
Message 6 of 6
MikeEvansUK

Are the labels required in plan or profile? What exactly do you mean by "gradient breaks", can you supply a sketh or image showing what you are trying to achieve?

If you mean to show levels in plan then use "alignment labels", chainage / stations. Edit style, add referance text > Profile > Profile Elevation then set to 100' increments.

If gradients same as above only "instantaneous grade", which should give you the grade at the sampled point.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report