Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
atulbhobe
438 Views, 4 Replies

Google Earth

I imported Google earth surface (at eye alt 600m) to civil 3d 2012 and created an alignment of length 181m.

When I exported same alignment to Google earth , it showed the length as 190m ( the difference increases with increase in length of alignment) 

And also the profile view of the alignment in the Civil D & Google earth varies.

Please anybody help in this issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: atulbhobe

Don't expect Google Earth imports to have more than a very rough degree of accuracy.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5

Google Earth accuracy is very spotty, that's why aerial survey and photogrametry companies are still in business.

Google's offical stance says, "makes no claims as to the accuracy of the coordinates in Google Earth. These are provided for entertainment only and should not be used for any navigational or other purpose requiring any accuracy whatsoever".

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 5

@michael.robertson wrote:

Google Earth accuracy is very spotty, that's why aerial survey and photogrametry companies are still in business.

Google's offical stance says, "makes no claims as to the accuracy of the coordinates in Google Earth. These are provided for entertainment only and should not be used for any navigational or other purpose requiring any accuracy whatsoever".

Makes you wonder why it got pulled from the platform, no?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

That was probably a small part, another large part I think is most people didn't understand the legal aspect. By license you could not base any commercial work of the platform (i.e. things like aerial photos for project presentations, etc) unless you licensed a commercial version of Google Earth.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report