Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

122 REPLIES 122
Message 1 of 123
dsimeone
49605 Views, 122 Replies

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

Hi Everyone - Now that details of the R2013 version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are public, I wanted to update you on the status of Google Earth import and export workflows. The following statement summarizes where we are:

Due to limitations on the use of the Google Earth API, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013 does not include API access to allow customers to import Google Earth imagery and/or surfaces directly into Civil 3D. We are aware of the importance of including preliminary surface and aerial imagery in your design workflows and are actively looking for an alternative.  However, we cannot share any specific information about potential future product enhancements. When appropriate, we will communicate technology plans via various channels including Autodesk Labs, Facebook, Blogs and the Civil 3D Discussion Group.

As noted above, we'll update you as soon as we can share information on technology plans that target the workflow of incorporating readily available image and surface information into your design workflows. People are welcome to contact me directly with questions/comments.

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
122 REPLIES 122
Message 101 of 123
mathewkol
in reply to: dsimeone

It won't.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 102 of 123
TerryDotson
in reply to: DentonYoder

With Autodesk's removing Google functionality and adding Bing related processes, I think it's safe to say there won't be any progress in the future.

If you were to consider alternatives, MapWorks Base contains GE (KML) Import/Export, Image processing and more.

Message 103 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: TerryDotson

Looks like autodesk will continue to lag behind those dam compedative free Open Source types;

You can generate very hand Geotiffs of google, bing and OSM from QGIS usually they import back into civil/map OK

Message 104 of 123
-alfred-

hi everyone. i'm still reading most of the comments here in dicussion. but i cannot find my answer. do they have a replacement / extension maybe for Google Earth in Civil 3D 2013?

hope i can find an answer.

thank you.

Message 105 of 123
lokinderr
in reply to: lokinderr

Thanks sir for your reply

but QGIS is very slow it is not workable for me as i think. if you haveany other suggestion you are welcome

Message 106 of 123
elaine3051
in reply to: -alfred-

We have finally resigned ourselves to the fact that Autodesk and Google are no better at resolving issues than the people running our government. We now obtain all our images from the Seamless Images on the USGS web site. If you are in need of rectified aerials, at higher resolution, I would try contacting your state highway department and see if you can gain access to their aerial photography. Once you use the seamless server a few times you become proficent. Although it is not as speedy a process to query images, the flip side is you no longer have to worry about the "Google Police".It also has eliminated any need for us to purchase Google Pro. We have five seats of Civil 3D. Their loss. I'm busy and do not have the time or energy to play games with software companies.

Message 107 of 123
DentonYoder
in reply to: mathewkol

Along with the image, can you pull dem data or anything I can make a surface with?

Denton

Message 108 of 123
calbi
in reply to: elaine3051

I wouldn't agree more with Elaine!

Fortunately we have USGS. I'd rather connect to one of the below National Map services:

http://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services

My favourite is the USGSImageryOnly:

http://basemap.nationalmap.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/USGSImageryOnly/MapServer

Also, since I need want to create offline imagery mosaics, I use the Plex.Earth 3 plugin (I think it's created by Lambros here in the forum).

http://www.plexearth.com

- Will

Message 109 of 123
mikeshick
in reply to: calbi

would you mind sharing or point a direction to a workflow for the links you mentioned?

Thank you!

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 110 of 123
calbi
in reply to: mikeshick

Hi Mike,

Do you mean with Plex.Earth?

When you open AutoCAD and go to the "Plex.Earth 3" ribbon tab.

First you have to select your coordinate system ("Select Zone and units" button)

Then click "Zoom Area" command in the "Map Explorer" pane and press space.

A dialog ("Choose map template") opens, go to the "Countries" tab and in the USA group choose, for example,  "USGS Imagery Base Map" and click OK.

If everything's OK, the map explorer now displays your project site and you can import images or create mosaics.

- Will

Message 111 of 123
mikeshick
in reply to: calbi

I'm playing around with it...but it doesn't seem to work as seemlessly as Id like.  So far, it has been clunky and hasn't provided anything better than civil 3D 2012.  Maybe I haven't given it enough chance.

When I try find more map collections on line, I get an error.  When I try to zoom in using USGS map, the map disappears.

Customer support is kind...but being in a foreign country makes lagtime a bit annoying.  Any thoughts?

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 112 of 123
elaine3051
in reply to: mikeshick

I'm not sure what you are asking about work flow. Could you be more specific? There is a tutorial on the Seamless Site on downloading photos. If your photos, from Seamless, do not appear as sharp as you want then you may be trying to download too large of an area. I find taking the time to download small,over lapping, areas is worth the effort. Please note that he quality of the available photos is not consistent when downloading in rural areas. Urban areas are always more recent photos and higher pixel quality. When you download the images there is info in their name telling you what coordinate system they are rectified to. Set up your dwg. Set the coordinates in Map>Tools>Assign coordinates to match . Insert the image to your dwg. Follow normal Query process to attach the image to your project drawing which is set to your local coordinates(i.e. state). Hope this helps. if you have more specific questions please ask. Remember Google Earth Images are not rectified and no project requiring quantities or stakeout should be based on locations in a Google image.

Message 113 of 123

Here's something that just became available on the subscription site. My question, why not civil 3d as well?

Globe Link for Autodesk Revit 2014

Release Date: 2013-05-03

Globe Link for Revit 2014 platform products helps users streamline preliminary project planning by enabling them to present conceptual designs in the context of the project site.
With Globe Link, users can publish 3D building information models directly from Autodesk® Revit® 2014, Autodesk® Revit® Architecture 2014, Autodesk® Revit® Structure 2014, and Autodesk® Revit® MEP 2014 software into Google Earth™ mapping service. Users can also acquire site information from Google Earth mapping service and import it into Revit 2014 software applications for building and site layout purposes. Globe Link is optimized for Google Earth version 5 mapping service.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 114 of 123

@andrewpuller3811 wrote:

Here's something that just became available on the subscription site. My question, why not civil 3d as well?

.....because its the poor relation of the other "sexier" software - a fully rendered building looks so much better when selling your product than an earthworks platform or road.....Smiley Wink

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 115 of 123

Money

Elaine B. Kilgore

CAD Technician

Owen and White, Inc.

8755 Goodwood Boulevard I Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Phone 225.926.5125 I Fax 225.952.7665 I Direct 225.952.7679
Message 116 of 123
neyton_
in reply to: elaine3051

To import KML files to autoCAD:

http://tbn2net.appspot.com/showprog?progid=READKML2

To export AutoCAD entities to Google Earth KML files:

http://tbn2net.appspot.com/showprog?progid=READKML2

To import elevaions from Google Maps to AutoCAD:

http://tbn2net.appspot.com/showprog?progid=IMPORTGMPTS

To import maps from Google Maps to AutoCAD:

http://tbn2net.appspot.com/showprog?progid=IMPORTGMMAP

Message 117 of 123
Denzuki1
in reply to: mathewkol

Since this concern is now multiyear, I feel that this should be stated here as well as in its own message.

1. In Civil 3D 2014, go to the 3D Modeling Workspace, select the Render tab, the Sun and Location Panel and the Set Location button. This gives you the opportunity to set the geographic location either by map or file. However, once I choose either a KML or KMZ file, the Geographic Location window freezes. I previously set my coordinate system.

What am I missing?

2. Since Basejump only worked with Civil 3D 2013, I take it that there still is not a direct Autodesk way of bringing in Google or Google-like images and/or surface data into the Autodesk environment.

Message 118 of 123
alegonb88
in reply to: antoniovinci

Hi Antonio,

How did you get the "Geotiff" export option to show up on screen? I only get a regular "tiff" export option.

Thanks!

Message 119 of 123
antoniovinci
in reply to: alegonb88

If you're talking about this thread, since we are guests @ Autodesk home, I won't explain how to generate (in Qgis) a true Geotiff from a Google Maps content.

Please post your question here, and don't be shy: I'll answer to you in my funny Little Italy's english...

Message 120 of 123
mohamedhade

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report