Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

122 REPLIES 122
Message 1 of 123
dsimeone
49612 Views, 122 Replies

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

Hi Everyone - Now that details of the R2013 version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are public, I wanted to update you on the status of Google Earth import and export workflows. The following statement summarizes where we are:

Due to limitations on the use of the Google Earth API, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013 does not include API access to allow customers to import Google Earth imagery and/or surfaces directly into Civil 3D. We are aware of the importance of including preliminary surface and aerial imagery in your design workflows and are actively looking for an alternative.  However, we cannot share any specific information about potential future product enhancements. When appropriate, we will communicate technology plans via various channels including Autodesk Labs, Facebook, Blogs and the Civil 3D Discussion Group.

As noted above, we'll update you as soon as we can share information on technology plans that target the workflow of incorporating readily available image and surface information into your design workflows. People are welcome to contact me directly with questions/comments.

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
122 REPLIES 122
Message 81 of 123
lokinderr
in reply to: dsimeone

hello all

i am trying to connect google maps with autocad 2013 but can find how to connect please help. i am serching for base jump software also but unable to find

Message 82 of 123
BrianHailey
in reply to: lokinderr

Project Basejump can be found HERE. Understand that this is a technology preview and will not continue to work after August 12th, 2013 (at least for the current version in Labs).

An alternative to using Google can be found HERE. It's not as quick as the Google Earth import but, in my opinion, it's a lot better (only works for the United States).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 83 of 123
igee
in reply to: BrianHailey

I installed basejump. All is fine except that aerial photography is bounded in by a random border. Data won't load outside the border. I am running C3D in Windows 8 - I suppose this is the problem.

Leon

Message 84 of 123
elaine3051
in reply to: igee

We have had to uninstall Windows 8 and reinstall Windows 7. We use Civil 3D and any draing with surfaces, points, profiles crashes and burns in short order when working in Windows8. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

Message 85 of 123
antoniovinci
in reply to: lokinderr

lokinderr wrote:

i am trying to connect google maps with autocad 2013

No way, sir.

If you really want maps by Google in Autocad, here's my workaround:

1. install the free Qgis
  2. load your desired zone from Google Maps
  3. save it as Geotiff (at screen resolution, so put up to the maximum)
  4. back to Autocad => _MAPIINSERT the Geotiff
Message 86 of 123
igee
in reply to: antoniovinci

Great, thank you. How about contour data? Leon
Message 87 of 123
mikeshick
in reply to: BrianHailey

I've been trying for a few days to utilize the files available through the usgs map viewer, specifically the archgrid files.  I've tried inserting the *.adf file under the dem files under surface, but nothing happens other than a lot of reading points.  But once complete, I am not able to build a surface with success.  When I try, nothing happens, the Anaylsis of the surface remains blank.

Can anyone help me through this.  Do I need to convert the adf file to a DEM first.  Or, is the ADF capable of being inserted directly.

Also, I'd like to insert the geotiff, but not sure how.  Any help would be really appreciated.  Thank you.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 88 of 123
geoffpreston
in reply to: TerryDotson

Terry, your KMLOUT script is a fantastic utility that's greatly appreciated! In fact, I think it's better than the official exporter from v2011. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't account for any grid scale factor applied in the drawing settings (most of my KMLs show up a few hundred feet off in GE). The workaround is to scale the drawing by this factor before exporting, but I wondered if this could somehow be incorporated into the script so it functions like the 2011 exporter.

Message 89 of 123
TerryDotson
in reply to: geoffpreston

The KMLOUT is just something thrown together in a couple of hours.  It is based on Map (even versions back to 2000), not Civil3D.  As such it isn't aware of Civil3D's grid coordinates, etc.  However I would still be curious to see a DWG to reproduce an error on GE export, since we have a supported project that does that.  If you have one email it to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.

Message 90 of 123

Massive failure

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 91 of 123
lkaliakatsos

Hi everyone,

I'd like to inform you that we've just launched Plex.Earth 3, the new version of our software. This new version provides the ability to connect Bing Maps, OpenStreetMap and any WMS, and of course, all the existing functionality with Google Earth, publishing and importing KML, etc. is improved.

Here's the new site:

http://www.plexearth.com

Hope it does the work. If you have any problem, here I am 🙂

Regards,

Lambros

Message 92 of 123
SeattleCADD
in reply to: lkaliakatsos

it doesn't publish the Civil 3D surfaces to Google Earth! why is that?

I have a corridor suface that I wanted to publish to Google earth, but this program could not do it. Hope you can help me!

Message 93 of 123
lkaliakatsos
in reply to: SeattleCADD

Hi,

yes it does - not only corridors surfaces, but any Civil 3D object.

I've just created a KMZ which includes the corridor itself, a corridor surface, another composite surface and a volume surface. To see the latter, you should switch off the GE terrain.

You may take it from here  (right-click on the link and "Save Link As"): http://pxstorage.plexscape.com/pub/cv-surfaces.kmz

If you have a problem with a specific drawing, you may also contact us at support at plexscape.com.

Regards,

Lambros

Message 94 of 123
lkaliakatsos
in reply to: SeattleCADD

I am sorry about the faulty link.

Here it is again:

http://pxstorage.blob.core.windows.net/pub/cv-surfaces.kmz

Regards,

Lambros

Message 95 of 123
kyriaki

Hello everybody!

Are there any latest news about "Publish In Google Earth in Civil3D2013"??

Note that i do have a Google Earth Pro Licence, but the problem still exists in Civil...Smiley Sad 

In my job Import and Publish from Google is an essential tool...

Message 96 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: kyriaki

Not possible natively

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 97 of 123

I tried your KMZ file. It dumped me out in the Mediterranean. Gulp!

Message 98 of 123
Plexscape
in reply to: randcdavidson

Hi! Please check if you have the correct coordinate system and units selected (command PLEXCS).

I'd be glad to assist if you can send me your drawing (or part of it).

- Lambros

Message 99 of 123
DentonYoder

What about R2014?  Has there been any progress with importing google earth data in the last year?  I thought we would get somewhere before 14, but I don't see anything in 2014 either...

Denton

denton@vt.edu

(Old Cad Guy)  Remember me Dave?

Message 100 of 123
DentonYoder
in reply to: neilyj666

I'll buy PRO if someone can tell me it will work with 13 or 14...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report