Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

122 REPLIES 122
Message 1 of 123
dsimeone
49592 Views, 122 Replies

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

Hi Everyone - Now that details of the R2013 version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are public, I wanted to update you on the status of Google Earth import and export workflows. The following statement summarizes where we are:

Due to limitations on the use of the Google Earth API, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013 does not include API access to allow customers to import Google Earth imagery and/or surfaces directly into Civil 3D. We are aware of the importance of including preliminary surface and aerial imagery in your design workflows and are actively looking for an alternative.  However, we cannot share any specific information about potential future product enhancements. When appropriate, we will communicate technology plans via various channels including Autodesk Labs, Facebook, Blogs and the Civil 3D Discussion Group.

As noted above, we'll update you as soon as we can share information on technology plans that target the workflow of incorporating readily available image and surface information into your design workflows. People are welcome to contact me directly with questions/comments.

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
122 REPLIES 122
Message 61 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: TerryDotson

@TerryDotson wrote:

Looks like almost 1300 objects processed before it hit a problem.  Can you email me that DWG?

As for the alignment, I think I may be able to add support for them.

Will send to the dotson.com address - I'll send the original C3D 2013 file as it's significantly smaller.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 62 of 123
TerryDotson
in reply to: neilyj666

Added support for AECC_ALIGNMENT objects and error should be fixed.  All those interested download again.

Message 63 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: TerryDotson

Does GE still work in 2012?

Message 64 of 123
wfberry
in reply to: O.Maille

Yes

Bill

Message 65 of 123
O.Maille

Great piece of free software to get shapefiles to kml; gives a nice preview map to enable review etc.

http://www.zonums.com/shp2kml.html

Message 66 of 123
yanca
in reply to: dsimeone

Are you suggesting that as long as the source (i.e. Google) is acknowledged then you are good to go?? I don't think this is correct unless you have Google Earth Pro in which case I believe there is no problem.

Most people I guess do not use Google Earth Pro and usage (without a Pro licence in a commercial organisation) would be a violation - unless you can advise me to the contrary??

There have been threads on this in the past and posted workarounds (to get colour images from Google Earth) were removed

Civil 3D 2013 (UKIE) with legacy project use of Civil 3D 2012 SP1(UKIE)
50Gb Crucial Adrenaline SSD Cache
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.4GHz
8Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800 Dual Monitor
Dell T5500

Message 67 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: yanca

With respect to images my understanding would be the companies that the companies that own the images and lease them to google would have to give approval (digital globe, Geoeye etc..)

At what stage between drawing a polygon in GE to converting it to shape to importing and printing it from C3D becomes "commercial gain" I'm very unsure. For example I may earn a payment simply by having a rough area on from GE but must likely will not be appreciated or paid any more for printing the outline from C3D

Message 68 of 123
StephenMBindon
in reply to: yanca

That's right..if you go through Google Earth Content Rules and Guidelines:

Which content are you interested in - Google Earth.

How do you plan to use this content - Print for Distribution

What medium will you be printing our content in - Professional Use (ie Proposal/Analysis)

That covers almost all output from an engineering company's perspective.

Using Content for Professional Documents:

You may use google maps or google earth for reports, presentations, proposals and related items professional documents. We request you still retain attribution

As long as the attribution is on the image – it is fine to use for any reports, drawings etc.

Message 69 of 123
elaine3051
in reply to: arturopolanco

Arturo mentioned the NASA World Wind Application. has anyone been successful in installing and obtaining images from World Wind?. We want to upgrade to C3D 2013 but absolutely need access to images for our projects. If anyone is using this software to download images could you please post what versions of C3D you have used it with and any installation problems you did, or did not, have. We tried installation this morning and World Wind will not run on our machines. Thanks

Message 70 of 123
elaine3051
in reply to: StephenMBindon

This months AUGI has information on page 43 for a free download to use with 2013 called CADtoEarth. Available Jan 1, 2013. Is this the image from GE resolution we have been asking for? I started a new thread on this and realized my old, original thread was still going strong.

Message 71 of 123
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Well, the web page says it was released July 4th, 2012 and that it's only compatible with Revit products. http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acadtoearth%3a...

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 72 of 123
igee
in reply to: dsimeone

Hello Dave, What is the latest on the subject? Will the problem be solved with V2014?

We are considering running an additional product, with Google interactivity, in parrallel to C3D. Should we proceed with this?

Leon

Message 73 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: igee

Great question - no chance of a response until the 2014 products have been releasedSmiley Wink

I just hope that functionality like this will not end up being bundled exclusively with the suites rather than standalone Civil 3D in an effort to extract more cash from the users.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 74 of 123
Jasono2009

Autodesk really messed this up. Notwithstanding other issues with the software, I will not move on from C3D 2012 until the issue is resolved.
Message 75 of 123
matt.wright
in reply to: Jasono2009

Any update at all? Or was this all just theater when really Autodesk doesn't know what they are going to do to replace the previous content? It appears the Bing stuff is a little half baked and not near as easy to use as the previous GE features. 

Matthew Wright, PE
TD&H Engineering
Message 76 of 123
BrianHailey
in reply to: matt.wright

Autodesk won't say anything about what they are working on. Interested in seeing what might be coming in the near future for the program you work on? Sign up for the beta program: beta.autodesk.com

Other than that, you'll have to wait and see.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 77 of 123
el_nath
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Being that there may never be a resolution to Google's liking, I'd prefer if Autodesk did something simlar to project Basemap (Bing), where data can imported into MAP 3D, however, using USGS maps and layers found at http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/. Sure I can download the data from the site and then connect to it through Map 3D, however, it's time consuming. The Bing map connection is smooth and quick.

USGS data is in the public domain, whereas the Bing Maps like Google are available for use, as long as Microsoft and Autodesk play nice. We've seen where that goes. Once MS starts asking for money, there goes project Basemap.

I'd also like to be able to access local GIS data (in the public domain) such as http://gis.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/ seemlessly.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 78 of 123
wfberry
in reply to: el_nath

About 2 weeks ago I received an email from ArcGis that changes were being made to Bing Maps.  I was suspecting that   changes would be coming to our community as well.  Unfortunately my old computer with the appropriate email is temporarily on the "fritz", so as best as I can remember their currently free Bing Maps would be ending in February (I think).

And a "pay" service would be starting later on.  If I have this all wrong, my apologies in advance.

Bill

Message 79 of 123
el_nath
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Ha! I figured it was too good to be true.

Jasono2009, it isn't Autodesk fault; they didn't drop the ball. It's just the nature of the beast. There is no such thing as a free meal. I still have C3D 2012, for quick Google Earth images, but I've moved design to C3D 2013. Besides GE images were never accurate. Anyhow, I'd still like a seemless connection to USGS data.

That'll be good until it is moved out of the public domain, probably for national security reasons. Wanna guess maybe next year?

That's just the way life is...enjoy it while you can, and move on with no hard feelings, because it was a free meal.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 80 of 123
JoshNelson
in reply to: wfberry

Yes I got the same email from ESRI and you are recalling it correctly. There is or will be a pay service available.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report