Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

122 REPLIES 122
Message 1 of 123
dsimeone
49597 Views, 122 Replies

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

Hi Everyone - Now that details of the R2013 version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are public, I wanted to update you on the status of Google Earth import and export workflows. The following statement summarizes where we are:

Due to limitations on the use of the Google Earth API, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013 does not include API access to allow customers to import Google Earth imagery and/or surfaces directly into Civil 3D. We are aware of the importance of including preliminary surface and aerial imagery in your design workflows and are actively looking for an alternative.  However, we cannot share any specific information about potential future product enhancements. When appropriate, we will communicate technology plans via various channels including Autodesk Labs, Facebook, Blogs and the Civil 3D Discussion Group.

As noted above, we'll update you as soon as we can share information on technology plans that target the workflow of incorporating readily available image and surface information into your design workflows. People are welcome to contact me directly with questions/comments.

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
122 REPLIES 122
Message 41 of 123
Sinc
in reply to: JoshNelson

@JoshNelson wrote:

Regarding the $30-$40k - to have terrain data and imagery generated for a project could cost you anywhere from $15k for a real small site to a couple $100k if you hired someone to get that data for you. So it's hard for me to see people complaining about a free service.

Josh

Several points...  Google Earth Pro is NOT free.  Also, the data provided is of dubious value...  The aerial imagery is often several years out-of-date, and the topo info is not trustworthy at all, except for a "rough guide".

The $15-100K estimate for a small site also sounds dubious to me...  A REAL topo of a small site would NEVER run you that much.  And although due to FAA regulations in the US, we apparently can't use some of the RC airplane aerial photo solutions that other countries use (a complete boondoggle, in my opinion, since those things are maybe 30' long and fly only a couple hundred feet up, with no danger at all to commercial air traffic).  So I suppose I can see how getting current aerial photography can run you lots of money.

But the aerial photos provided by Google are NOT created by Google.  You can offten see the exact same images for-free in many local government and municipality websites, and get the same terrain data from NGS.  So what's the deal...?  Something smells fishy.

Sinc
Message 42 of 123
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Sinc

I think we're on to something.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 43 of 123
chierchio
in reply to: dsimeone

One potential option may be to use a third party product from Plex.Earth - not sure if it works in 2013, but it is a 3rd party add-on and might. I actually prefer it over the standard AutoDesk supplied toolset.

Regarding payment for information - My client recently had a satellite flyover in an area where the current GE data was very poor. We used a vendor that brokered the data through Google's satellite. Lo and behold, a few months later the area in question on GE was updated with a high res photo. A nod to my client for updating the GE dataset... perhaps they should get some royalty for paying for the flyover?

Message 44 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: chierchio

The issue with google restricting their API is not just limited to Autodesk, I'd ask for solid contract with Plex.Earth before handing over any money.

For me this is a huge loss as prelim design was made so easy especially in terms of roughly geolocating drawing files by integration with GE. The loss of VBA, Kml provider and now GE import; yearly releases are slower and less functional as time goes by.

Also considering the limited amount of interoperability with autodesk formats for other programs it is not shock that google aren't playing ball.

Can't wait till google bring out a civil design program based on the sketchup engine. 

Message 45 of 123
KirkNoonan
in reply to: O.Maille

Can't wait till google bring out a civil design program based on the sketchup engine. 

Something along those lines might happen since Trimble bought Sketchup from Google

Message 46 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Trimble, that is interesting. The stetchup engine must be quite efficient given the speed of rendering also I wonder if this plays into the need for GPS companies to embrace new handheld devices. Or just a change for trimble to move into city modelling software with laser scanning maybe.

Ultimately though it does mean that a design tool will not emerge.

Message 47 of 123
BrianHailey

For those in the United States, here's an alternative to using Google Earth to bring free surface and image data into Civil 3D: http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/alternative-to-importing-google-earth-in-civil-3d/

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 48 of 123
antoniovinci
in reply to: BrianHailey

In this case, you’re paying with time.

I would pay with time, up to eternity, Brian, but...

An imagery from GE is drapable on the surface, whereas with your Seamless ones you gotta fight with material mapping...

Message 49 of 123
mathewkol

See project BaseJump on Autodesk Labs.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Project-Basejump-for-AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Now-Available-o...
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 50 of 123
chierchio
in reply to: mathewkol

Project Basejump just gives me an error -- 'There was a problem adding data to Map.'

Working in UTM-17S.

Message 51 of 123
mathewkol
in reply to: Sinc

Please report any issues in that other thread as it states in its original post.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 52 of 123
lkaliakatsos

Hi everyone,

I would to inform you that we've just made available the pre-release version of Plexscape's Kml Publisher for AutoCAD 2013.

It does exactly what it says: exports drawing objects (or whole projects) from AutoCAD to KMZ or KML file format for Google Earth, it's based on the new "engine" of Plex.Earth and came to fill the gap caused by the lack of Autodesk's Google Earth extension for AutoCAD 2013 products.

For more information and download visit:

http://www.kmlpublisher.com

Looking forward for your feedback.

Regards,

Lambros

Message 53 of 123
Jasono2009
in reply to: lkaliakatsos

Autodesk should employ this software and distribute for free to all paying 2013 C3D customers. I have 2013 but compared to 2012 it is useless to me without the Google Earth utility. It was also not revealed to us that Google Earth is not availabe by our distributor before we downloaded the new release. Needless to say I reverted back to 2012 where I plan to stay until something better comes along.

Hope this gets corrected soon. Not real pleased with Autodesk products the past 2 to 3 years. For any number of reasons I feel their competition is moving ahead.

Message 54 of 123
odoshi

Infrastructure Studio 2013 allows you to publish imagery from Yahoo, Google and Bing. The Yahoo and Google options require authentication due to licensing agreements but the Bing option is free. I'd expect a Bing solution to the Civil 3D issue shortly.

Regards,

Mike

www.whitemountaincad.com

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 55 of 123
TerryDotson

Since yesterday was a slow day (holiday) I threw together some freeware to output KML files from drawing objects, including FeatureLines and AeccPoints.  It's a tiny 15kb VLX that works on any Map based AutoCAD (even back to version 2000), that includes Map, LDT and Civil3D.  Most linear objects are supported directly and a companion tool explodes things like blocks & text to polylines so they show up on the export.

Here is a link to download or email improvement requests to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.

Message 56 of 123
Jasono2009
in reply to: odoshi

That's fine and all, but the solution(s) had better be free/covered by Autodesk. I will not pay extra for what an older version already provides. Until a solution comes out we will stick with version 2012. Thanks, Jason
Message 57 of 123
JoshNelson

Thanks Terry - can't wait to try it.

Josh
Message 58 of 123
O.Maille
in reply to: TerryDotson

Thank you for the effort, lets all hope autodesk utilises the millions we all pay them to pay bing/google etc. for license in the near future. I'm sure they charge plenty to any company wanting to use dwg format. HUGE missed opertunity that they didn't do a two way deal with google when they had sketchup.

Message 59 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: TerryDotson

Can't get this to work - I "exported" an alignment drawing down to Acad 2007 version so alignments are just Polylines

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 60 of 123
TerryDotson
in reply to: neilyj666

Looks like almost 1300 objects processed before it hit a problem.  Can you post or email me that DWG?

As for the alignment, I think I may be able to add support for them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report