Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

122 REPLIES 122
Message 1 of 123
dsimeone
49607 Views, 122 Replies

Google Earth utilities with R2013 products

Hi Everyone - Now that details of the R2013 version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are public, I wanted to update you on the status of Google Earth import and export workflows. The following statement summarizes where we are:

Due to limitations on the use of the Google Earth API, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013 does not include API access to allow customers to import Google Earth imagery and/or surfaces directly into Civil 3D. We are aware of the importance of including preliminary surface and aerial imagery in your design workflows and are actively looking for an alternative.  However, we cannot share any specific information about potential future product enhancements. When appropriate, we will communicate technology plans via various channels including Autodesk Labs, Facebook, Blogs and the Civil 3D Discussion Group.

As noted above, we'll update you as soon as we can share information on technology plans that target the workflow of incorporating readily available image and surface information into your design workflows. People are welcome to contact me directly with questions/comments.

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
122 REPLIES 122
Message 21 of 123

As KML is an open standard, the KML output could atleast be provide so we can continue to visualise projects.

The command does not have to load google earth as it does in 2011 and 2012, just output the file.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 22 of 123
JoshNelson
in reply to: dsimeone

Isn't it kind of a non-issue since you can still do it in 2011/2012?

Message 23 of 123
owenmull
in reply to: JoshNelson

It is an issue because if you've got a drawing in 2013 format you need the GE image in, you cannot open it with 2012 or 2011. The only way that works is if you start the drawing in 2011/2012, import the image, then migrate it to 2013.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

Which is a pretty simple/easy workaround as far as Autodesk workarounds go....

Message 25 of 123
owenmull

Is it easy? Yes. Is it a complete PITA? Yes. Simple? What if you had en entire design built off that photo/image, and wanted to change/add another image to it later on?

The only workaround for THAT is to import into C3D 2012 (coordinate system!!!), migrate to C3D 2013, then either xref or copy/paste into C3D 2013.

Not really so simple. The point is, we shouldn't HAVE to do obscene run arounds like that, and whatever the reason they cut it from 2013, I hope they fix it or put out something equal or better.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

The features in 2011 & 2012 of imagery and kml files is the reason we spend $$$ on 7 licenses of GE Pro, which I just purchased for this year.  Even if there had to be a field to check for a valid license of GE Pro, I'm good with that.

And yes, I can "manually" create the kml files for the alignment centerline, but we'd eventually like to publish more Civil 3D objects to GE.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 27 of 123
thepworth
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Since I'm still in the dark ages with 2011, can someone try the ArcGIS for AutoCAD build 250 with 2012/2013 and post if it works?  At least then you can stream & load Bing aerial maps....

TIA!

Message 28 of 123
JoshNelson
in reply to: owenmull

Copy and paste to original coordinates is pretty easy as well as bringing in an image...especially for something that would've cost you $30,000-$40,000 at least to get a topo and aerial image of. There are far more important things I would rather them spend time and money on than this. It's like complaining about something that is free. It's kind of hard to do.

Lisa - as far as the KML stuff - that's weird that that's not in there. That's not really an API issue. That kind of sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater or a lawsuit that caused them to remove all Google stuff period. 

You are buying Google Earth Pro so you can legally use the imagery and the surface right? You didn't need that to export to KML. Also you can still utilize your Google Earth Pro with 2012 - not a major workaround to get what you need there and then just open that file in 2013.

Message 29 of 123
rgibson

What a pitty its a great feature although not very accurate.

I trust we will get something bigger and better to replace it..

Message 30 of 123
Sinc

@JoshNelson wrote:

Copy and paste to original coordinates is pretty easy as well as bringing in an image...especially for something that would've cost you $30,000-$40,000 at least to get a topo and aerial image of. There are far more important things I would rather them spend time and money on than this. It's like complaining about something that is free. It's kind of hard to do.

Don't quite understand that... What do you mean?  $30-40K...?  For what...?  "something that is free"...?  Can't quite follow that comment.

@JoshNelson wrote:

You are buying Google Earth Pro so you can legally use the imagery and the surface right? You didn't need that to export to KML. Also you can still utilize your Google Earth Pro with 2012 - not a major workaround to get what you need there and then just open that file in 2013.

Not a great solution, IMHO. But then we've also never used Google Earth Pro... We have Terrain Navigator, though, which is what we use for this stuff. And we've also been hesitant about moving up to 2013, especially with all the problems people have been discovering (not related to this issue).

Sinc
Message 31 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

Not a great solution, IMHO. But then we've also never used Google Earth Pro... We have Terrain Navigator, though, which is what we use for this stuff. And we've also been hesitant about moving up to 2013, especially with all the problems people have been discovering (not related to this issue).

I'm intending moving on to 2013 soon - can you elaborate on these problems...?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 32 of 123
Cadguru42
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:

@Sinc wrote:

I'm intending moving on to 2013 soon - can you elaborate on these problems...?

Here are 3 off the top of my head.  First two mean we cannot use 2013 at all until these are fixed.

1. Survey Figures can't be edited in the survey figure properties dialog.
  2. MAPIINSERT tries to reproject on the fly now, but misreads the geolocation header on GeoTIFFs.
  3. Help file does not include any of these new features or terms, such as a vector based figure vs. chain based.
C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 33 of 123

Regarding the $30-$40k - to have terrain data and imagery generated for a project could cost you anywhere from $15k for a real small site to a couple $100k if you hired someone to get that data for you. So it's hard for me to see people complaining about a free service.

Josh

Message 34 of 123
noor.azhar

We are one of the C3D reseller in Malaysia.

Out of sudden, we receive bombing of emails and phone calls asking us "WHERE IS THE GOOGLE EARTH MENU in C3D 2013...?!!"

And our "polite" answer is, "Please 'ignore' C3D2013 and use 2012 instead". We shall send an email to you regarding the C3D2013 and Google Earth integration issue."

Thus, we send an official email directing them to THIS thread for our customers to review.

To ADSK, your customers already "addicted" to the Google Earth integration feature(s). Now, you let them down. Please find a possible workaround (hopefully without incurring any dollars and cents...).

Message 35 of 123
antoniovinci
in reply to: noor.azhar

@ noor.azhar

What are you looking for here, sir?

A serious reseller should NOT complain in a customers' forum like this, but in "higher" grounds, i.e. directly to Autodesk.

About the possible workarounds, check out the "06-04-2012 09:05 AM" post in the current topic...

Message 36 of 123
noor.azhar

Thanks antoniovinci...

A serious reseller is to always makes customers happy.

Thus, we have found the solutions to this catastrophe; but we ain't reveal it here in this 'public' forum.
Message 37 of 123

Hi,

@ noor.azhar:

>> we have found the solutions [...] but we ain't reveal it here [...]

The reason why there exist discussion boards is exactly that you pointed out now: I have a solution but I don't tell anyone here which is it. 😞

Sarcasm off:

Is that how you work with your customers? Don't forget: any participant here could be your customer from tomorrow ... but with words like you use?

SCNR, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 38 of 123
neilyj666
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

@ noor.azhar

What are you looking for here, sir?

A serious reseller should NOT complain in a customers' forum like this, but in "higher" grounds, i.e. directly to Autodesk.

About the possible workarounds, check out the "06-04-2012 09:05 AM" post in the current topic...

.... and always remembering that this "workaround" is probably of dubious legality........

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 39 of 123

I totally agree with you.
Message 40 of 123
Joe-Bouza

To me, it a bunch of phooey

Google images and information are used world wide and the fact is every use has a finacial impact.

If I send you a google map to get to my house... wheres the compensation

If I find a place of interest on google map.... where is the compensation, yada yada yada.

Take all those casual GE users that get and tranfer GE images and information with out properly compensating google, and Civl3d users are a "mere bag of shells"  in the bigger picture

My guess... There is way more to the story then we are being told. The $ just don't add up. IMHO

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report