Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glitch with pipe networks, need help please

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
372 Views, 13 Replies

Glitch with pipe networks, need help please

Hi all - I ran into something a little odd after editing a pipe network & could use some help.

During the initial creation, there were 2 pipe lengths that got deleted from the network. When expanding pipe networks in prospector, the 2 pieces in question do not show up. However, when the structure is clicked on, it shows 4 pipes attached to it (not 2, as it should).

I have tried exporting the network via LandXML & editing there. If I bring the pipe network into a blank drawing, it imports correctly. If I try to overwrite the network, or delete the structure in question, I get a FATAL ERROR.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this. This glitch was discovered when I labeled the structure in profile view with the INV elevations (it lists 2x as many as it should).

Thanks in advance for any help .... If someone wants to play with the file, please let me know and I will email it.

Thanks!
~Brenda G.
bgodfrey@kci.com
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Brenda,

Doesnt make sense that the pipes would not show up in the prospector, but
the pipes do show up in structure properties. Maybe right click on network
to refresh followed by my favorite commands of purge and audit with possible
session restart.

Wesley Price
Civil 3D 2007, SP3
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz
2 GB of RAM
XP Pro SP2

wrote in message news:5520941@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi all - I ran into something a little odd after editing a pipe network &
could use some help.

During the initial creation, there were 2 pipe lengths that got deleted from
the network. When expanding pipe networks in prospector, the 2 pieces in
question do not show up. However, when the structure is clicked on, it
shows 4 pipes attached to it (not 2, as it should).

I have tried exporting the network via LandXML & editing there. If I bring
the pipe network into a blank drawing, it imports correctly. If I try to
overwrite the network, or delete the structure in question, I get a FATAL
ERROR.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this. This glitch was discovered when
I labeled the structure in profile view with the INV elevations (it lists 2x
as many as it should).

Thanks in advance for any help .... If someone wants to play with the file,
please let me know and I will email it.

Thanks!
~Brenda G.
bgodfrey@kci.com
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

It kinda sounds like there are some zero length pipes attached to the structure.

If you move the structure, do any new/missing pipes appear?
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Can you erase the structure using standard Autocad erase command? If you can maybe then you can add back the same type structure using draw structure only in Network layout tools. Then connect the new structure to the two pipes.

You might want to double check the rim. I think the inverts of the pipes should still be OK.

Cliff Patterson
Rocke & Associates
Fort Wayne, IN.
Civil 3d 2007, SP-3
Xeon 2.80 Ghz, 2.0 GB Ram
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I would support the theory that when you did some editing on the pipes you may have duplicated them it will make a pipename (1) pipe that is the same length and inverts as the original. It also my just be bugged. Salvage what you can in that case without crashing and move stuff to another drawing.
Message 6 of 14
Civil3DReminders_com

I've found that the structures don't like the pipes being deleted that are connected to them. An audit it should fix the problem. To not get this error you can disconnect the pipes from the structure and then delete the pipes.
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks guys - I had already run the purge & audit all to no avail. I've been using this stuff for a year & a half now & hadn't run into this issue before. Logically, if the pipes were remoed from the network, they really shouldn't be there ... If I look at the pipes/structures of the network in question in prospector, it lists the 2 structure & 3 pipes that it should. But, when I labeled one of the structures, the label shows 4 pipes attached, so I go back & check the structure in the vista & it indicates that 4 pipes are there (2 of which really aren't). Very confusing .... So, since purge/audit did not work, I tried the XML idea that I mentioned in the first post ... I can fix the code in the XML, but then it breaks when I try to reimport it. Grrr ...
Message 8 of 14
Civil3DReminders_com

Did you create the original file in 2006? In 2006 one could connect between different networks. When you try to import the xml file from a network arraigned like this in 2007 the program crashes like you describe.
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

This is strictly a C3D 2007 file.
Message 10 of 14
peter_thomson

i have had a similar thing happen just last week.
I created a new stormwater network with 2 pipe runs in it.

Then, as always happens in real life, I had to delete a structure and a pipe, change course, add another structure and pipe, alter the underlying alignment to match....and hey presto, one of the structures refuses to draw in the PV.

Doesn't matter what I tried to do to fix it, it refuses to draw.

Anyway, 2 things I did to move on.

1. Sent the drawing to AutoDESK support (benefit of being on subscription)...they are looking at the difficulties I have had.

2. started again with the network and tried to create a network thst didn't require any editting...(which of course is NOT the final answer, but a method that enables me to continue.)

You are not alone.

cheers, Peter.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

I've seen this a number of times. It seems like Civil 3D creates a copy of the pipe when you grip-edit (deliberately, but I'm not sure why; backup?) and then forgets to delete it when the command is finished.

I had one network once made up of a lot of short pipes (one conduit with multiple measured depths forming a big vertical curve) and I had to grip-edit and modify the properties of every one. At the end of the process, I had twice as many pipes as initially. IIRC, the (1) pipes were the ones with the correct elevations. Chris's suggestion - disconnect and then delete the incorrrect pipes - worked for me.

HTH,
Trevor
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Trevor - the Phamtom pipes don't show up anywhere they could be deleted from. The only place they show up is in the properties of the structure they are "attached" to ... so there seems to be no way to delete them, short of editing an XML file (but that breaks too).
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Oh, sorry, must've misread your original post.

Trevor
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

No worries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report