Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me back my OSNAPs!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
troma
603 Views, 9 Replies

Give me back my OSNAPs!

I've got used to the frustrating practice of 2011 turning off my OSNAPs when I am inserting an elevation point on a feature line. Smiley Frustrated  I've learned to work around it.  I haven't tried that in 2013 yet.  But I just edited an alignment and got the same behaviour.  Trying to snap the PIs of my alignment onto existing geometry, I have to turn my osnaps back on before each click! Smiley Mad  It's actually faster to just click in random places, then go back and snap the PIs  to where they need to be. AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggg!!!!

Please, please tell me there's a sysvar that I've missed.  Or is this another "that's the way it supposed to work"?  Really?  Becasue if I want my OSNAPs turned off for a specific task I can think of some very easy ways of doing it, and I don't want C3D stepping in and doing it for me.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

Which version? What Command(s)? My running OSNAPS work fine in 2011 & 2012 for creating & grip editing an alignment.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: Jeff_M

Are tracing over the existing geometry? If so, why not create FL from objects?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 4 of 10
troma

2011. Make sure you have some running OSNAPs set. Go to the ribbon > Modify > Edit Elevations > Insert Elevation Point.  Click on a feature line.  Suddenly you realize that none of your OSNAPs are working.  Hit F3 > the OSNAP settings box pops up to let you set a new running OSNAP, because they are all turned off.

2013. Make sure you have some running OSNAPs set.Click on an alignment> right-click > Edit alignment geometry > Insert PI.  Suddenly you realize that none of your OSNAPs are working.  Hit F3 > the OSNAP settings box pops up to let you set a new running OSNAP, because they are all turned off.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 10
Jeff_M

2011 - I can confirm this behavior.

2013 - I cannot confirm, the OSNAPS remain on and working for me. You didn't mention whether SP1 has been installed. I do have it installed.

EESignature
Message 6 of 10
troma

Yep, I have SP1.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 10
troma

@Jeff_M wrote:

Do you like it, or see any good reason for it?

@Jeff_M wrote:

2013 - I cannot confirm, the OSNAPS remain on and working for me. You didn't mention whether SP1 has been installed. I do have it installed.

As said, I do have SP1.  Couple of other points:
With the feature line, once I start the command, click on a f-line and turn on the osnaps, they stay on as long as I am editing that f-line.  When I repeat the command for the next f-line, I have to turn on the osaps again.

With the alignment (in 2013) it was different.  I had to turn them back on for every | single | click |.  Smiley Frustrated

And I just now tested in a different drawing in 2013, and got different behaviour.  Is this what you're seeing?  In this second drawing, when inserting an alignment PI and then hit F3, it says <Osnap off> or <Osnap on> at the commmandline as you'd expect.  All appears normal, exept the osnaps still aren't actually working.  In a way this is worse, since there was no way to turn the osnaps on at all.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 10
Jeff_M

@troma wrote:

@Jeff_M wrote:

Do you like it, or see any good reason for it?

I rarely use running osnaps, so I've never noticed it. No, I'm not sure why they chose to turn them off for this command.

@troma wrote:
And I just now tested in a different drawing in 2013, and got different behaviour.  Is this what you're seeing?  In this second drawing, when inserting an alignment PI and then hit F3, it says <Osnap off> or <Osnap on> at the commmandline as you'd expect.  All appears normal, exept the osnaps still aren't actually working.  In a way this is worse, since there was no way to turn the osnaps on at all.

No, I see nothing like this. If they are on before starting the Insert PI command, they work fine. If off when starting the command, I do have to turn them on for each PI inserted but they do work correctly.

EESignature
Message 9 of 10
BrianHailey

@troma wrote:

2013. Make sure you have some running OSNAPs set.Click on an alignment> right-click > Edit alignment geometry > Insert PI.  Suddenly you realize that none of your OSNAPs are working.  Hit F3 > the OSNAP settings box pops up to let you set a new running OSNAP, because they are all turned off.

I'm not seeing this behavior at all in 2013. Could it be drawing specific? HERE is a video using one of the tutorial files. Do you see it in that file as well?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 10
troma
in reply to: BrianHailey

I just realised that it is only the endpoint osnap that is deactivated by this command. Of course, it's the only one I want to use. Possibly previously it was the only running osnap that I had active, so I thought that they had all been turned off.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report