Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting TDS RAW Survey Attributes into Civil 3D

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
CharlesRheault6717
3314 Views, 31 Replies

Getting TDS RAW Survey Attributes into Civil 3D

We process survey data using Attributes to add extra intelligence and reduce errors.

For example, when shooting trees, the RAW file will contain something like this:

SS,OP 50,FP1299,AR308.2057,ZE91.0918,SD128.282,--TREE
FC,PN1299,FNTREE
AT,TNSZ,TV11.0
AT,TNTY,TVMAPLE

or when shooting a street sign:

SS,OP 50,FP1437,AR324.1135,ZE91.4728,SD123.235,--SIGN
FC,PN1437,FNSIGN
AT,TNTY,TVNO PARKING

The FC code sets up that attribute information will follow for the point number indicated by PN and the FN is basically explaining the name of the feature type. On the collector, this is all menu driven, making for few data entry errors.

The AT codes list the attributes name TN and then the TV reports its value.

Is there a way to preserve these attributes and their data when processing them into an FBK? Ideally, they would need to become part of a point description.

When processing this for that "other" CADD package, I am able to use these values in building labels for my survey points.

AKA CaddCop
31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
DawnAW
in reply to: jmccabeLSIT

I think what you are describing is correct.  To see your text you will have to turn on your attributes display in AutoCAD.  You can do this by typing 'ATTDISP' on the command line and then changing it to 'ON'.  You will now see text along with the points (or, as you say, massive X's) .  The point or X is the location of the feature described by the text.  I believe that these are probably blocks that you can explode and then manipulate the text.  Some points may not have text with them and some will.  This is what I do:

1.  Using QuickSelect, I delete the blocks that do not have any text.  That way I can see the ones with text clearer.

2.  Then I explode the remaining ones with text and then, using QuickSelect to select all the text, I move the text to be on top of the point that was associated with it. This way when you bring this file into the survey, the text is right on top of the feature it is describing.

Message 22 of 32
jmccabeLSIT
in reply to: DawnAW

Ok that is working, thanks

Message 23 of 32
DawnAW
in reply to: jmccabeLSIT

Oh good.  Glad to help.

Message 24 of 32
nmessina

Given that Survey Link 7.5.5 has not been upgraded in many years and "TDS Survey Pro 5.0+", uses a new file format ".survey". Thus, I believe Survey Link 7.5.5 is long, long over do for an upgrade.  This upgrade should include the ability to read the new *.survey file format and implement full use of Feature Codes. 

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 25 of 32
IanMcClain
in reply to: nmessina

Yes, and SL7.5.5 has some bugs. If you convert an total station observation with 59.5" to 59.9" in either the horizontal or zenith angle it is rounded to 60" seconds. LDD used to ignore these observations, C3D at least warns you.

TDS was bought out/merged into Spectra Surveying. Now that hey have revamped the software with 5.0 the are getting away from .JOB and .RAW. The new .SURVEY is supposed to contain observation data, and the C3D help mentions that LandXML supports Reduced and Raw observations. Does anyone know if there is workflow from the new TDS 5.0+ to C3D using LandXML as the intermediary instead of .FBK?

Ian McClain
Message 26 of 32
nmessina
in reply to: IanMcClain

I am aware that Spectra Precision now owns Survey Pro 5.1+, as we recently upgraded one of our Recons to a new Ranger.  I have already tried exporting .survey to XML, and much to my disappointment it contained no RAW Observations.  The LandXML file was only coordinate based system.  Our company strictly works with RAW Observations from the data collector, we never import coordinates.  

In order to get a FBK file we have to export a RAW file in Survey Pro which converts to the old RAW format. Then we can convert yo FBK file via Survey Link 7.5.5

Perhaps, it was wishfull thinking that the new Survey Pro and/or Civil 3D 2012+ would include use of Survey XML based on RAW Observations and Attributes.   I have been wanting to revamp our Survey Pro and Trimble feature codes to be more intuitive to prompt the field surveyors for attibutes regarding the survey points.  Such as when they located a Utility Pole it they are required to enter type of pole (Wood, Concrete, Steel) then Number of Over Head Wires, Directions of wires, does it have Light fixture.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 27 of 32
DawnAW

Good afternoon.

A few years ago, as part of this discussion, I mentioned how using Survey link you can export a job file to a dxf file.  That way you can get your survey attributes from the dxf file.  This was possible because I had a .fea file that was associated with the job file.  This has been working well for me until now.  My company upgraded to Survey Pro 5.5 software and Spectra Precision Ranger 3 series equipment.  This apparently uses a .fxl file not .fea file.  Has anyone had to make this transition and found success?  Or is there an entirely different way to approach this?

Thanks

Message 28 of 32
CharlesRheault6717

The have a converter that can translate the fea file to an fxl, I believe. We found a few issues and had to change some attributes settings before they would work for the field crews. That was months ago and unfortunately, my memory is not great on the details.We also learned that the save as RAW file left something to be desired. It wrote the attributes in a totally different manner.

However, I did lean they have some type of XML converter which can convert the new survey file, which is XML to just about anything you want - provied you know how to write XSLT. On the plus side, there is a location where you can download many different XSL files to use as-is or as a basis for modification to create a custom conversion.

Again, that was months ago and I am currently out of that office and don't have access to everything I would need to answer all of your questions.

AKA CaddCop
Message 29 of 32
DawnAW
in reply to: CharlesRheault6717

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply.  You are right, there is a converter for .fea to .fxl.  That is how I got into this mess. My company's surveyors have converted it and have abandoned the .fea file.  Which leads me to my problem, when I try to convert my job file (which is no longer linked to the .fea file, but is now linked to the .fxl file) to a dxf file, Survey Link does not recognize the xfl.  It seems to be working well in the field and also when they use a raw file to create a survey through inroads.  Its just the problem of bringing it into Civil 3D.

Have you been able to bring your attributes into Civil 3D using the .fxl file?

Message 30 of 32
CharlesRheault6717

So for, I have not had a chance to even try. We have been able to bring them int InRoads and then to use the InRoads Survey XML Report to create a PNEZD file with any linking codes and $1, $2, etc. parameters and those have come into Civil 3D with linework and also point label parameters.

Unfortunately, the newest InRoads looks like that eventually, the current methodology will go away and the new methodology does not offer the reports that the current version does.

AKA CaddCop
Message 31 of 32
DawnAW
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me some direction?

I am trying to place these attributes on an existing survey that has bee generated with a fieldbook.  I am trying the method that you suggested some time ago.  I am running into some problems though.

I have my comma delimited file.  It contains the point number and the attribute.

Example:

1001,TRAV 45
1009, 1' DIA
etc.

I do not have the N,E,Z,D since the fieldbook I am working with bases all the points on the rotation and angle off of the traverse points.  I am under the impression that the point numbers will automatically coordinate with the point numbers already placed and I can merge them together.

So I found some instruction on creating these attributes:
I created a User Defined Property (which is a string)
I created custom Point File Format and populated the columns with my User Defined Property (set to csv)
I created a Label Style
I created  a point group.

With the survey already created from the fieldbook and saved.  I inserted my points from the csv file.  There are no errors but I cannot see any text. What have I missed?

Thank you

Message 32 of 32
rl_jackson

My thought is that your have imported the data that has a description key applied to it for say a particular block for the point style but have a default or no label style assigned to it. So if you place the points in a group your going to need to Override the label style within the point group. To use your new label style, Just guessing here. I think I would set the label style in the description key and let it assign the attribute when it's imported (i.e. it would be blank until you imported the point attributes

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report