Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotechnical Module recommended to be uninstalled

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
neilyj666
2200 Views, 23 Replies

Geotechnical Module recommended to be uninstalled

From this thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Geotechnical-Module-Stability-in-2014/td-p/3940095 the current (30 May) advice from Autodesk is to uninstall the Geotechnical module due to "performance issues"

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had any issues yet but I don't use it a whole lot.
Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 3 of 24
jtelder

I did the uninstall and afterwards opening Civil 3D gave me a message about an error loading a code on line something or other(guess I should have written it down?). I would ok it and things seemed ok, except for a couple of fatal error crashes. After several incidents, I did a repair on the Civil 3D install, and now no error  on loading and no crashes.

If you do the uninstall, do a repair on your Civil 3D and restart.

JT
Message 4 of 24
neilyj666
in reply to: jtelder

Thanks for this - I haven't uninstalled yet as I still need to derive some information using the module.

It seems to perform better if only used in Top View

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 24
jessica.kelly

We are pleased to announce the release of Geotechnical Module v1 for both Civil 3D 2013 and Infrastructure Design Suite 2014.

These are now available for download on Subscription Center along with release notes. Please uninstall any previous version of the Geotechnical Module prior to installing Geotechnical Module v1.

Thank you!

Jessica L. Kelly
Director, Operations - Autodesk Tandem
Message 6 of 24
neilyj666
in reply to: jessica.kelly

Thanks for this but I can't see it in Subs centre yet?

EESignature

Message 7 of 24
jessica.kelly

For the 2013 version, you will find it listed under Civil 3D Productivity Tools. For 2014, you will need to have either IDS Premium or IDS Ultimate and chose to "View All Product Enhancements". Then you will see the Geotechnical Module listed as a link. When you click that link, the page with the updated downloads will appear.

Let me know if you still can't find it, I can see it when I log in with a simulated customer account.

Jessica L. Kelly
Message 8 of 24
neilyj666

Thanks for this - found it now

EESignature

Message 9 of 24
neilyj666

A good start - no idea what this means or how to get around it...Smiley Frustrated

2013-06-18 15_52_19-AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 - [666636.dwg].jpg

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
jessica.kelly

Can you tell me when this is appearing? Is it as you install the geotechnical module or is it a specific command you are using?

Jessica L. Kelly
Message 11 of 24
neilyj666

I restarted C3D and then imported CSV's and it crashed - will be testing over the next day or so to see if I can repeat

EESignature

Message 12 of 24
GaryMorin8439

Hi 

Can you confirm you uninstalled the original module before installing the new version?

thanks

Gary

Message 13 of 24
neilyj666
in reply to: GaryMorin8439

Confirmed that I closed Civil 3D, uninstalled the original version and installed V1

PS do the csv files still need to be called GEOL and HOLE in V1?

PPS It'd be good to be able to Shift or Ctrl click when turning borehole etc strips on/off

EESignature

Message 14 of 24
GaryMorin8439

Now the Geol and Hole files can be names whatever you want.

By Shift or Ctrl click do you mean to be able to be toggle of and on multiple boreholes. If so that is an enhancement we have planned the HoleBASE SI extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D.

Gary
Message 15 of 24
neilyj666

yes, the standard Windows functionality e.g selecting files in explorer. I saw the recent webinar for Holebase civil extension but I don't need that level of functionality although the update schedule is better than the geotech module. presumably this recent V1 release is to iron out the initial problems and we wont see any more updates until 2015 product release...?

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
GaryMorin8439

The SDF file not found message, is due to a problem with styles sometimes seen in the previous release. unfortunately the new installer can't always correct the problem automatically. if you experienced the problem please following these steps to re-initialise the styles database:

1. Confirm in add remove programs that the version of the AutoDESK Geotechnical Module is 1.12.1.9. and that there is only one version of the Geotechnical Module listed.
  2. Ensure AutoCAD Civil 3D is not running and closed.
  3. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Keynetix\ and rename the folder AutodeskGeotechnicalModule to be AutodeskGeotechnicalModule.BACKUP
  4. Restart AutoCAD Civil 3D
  5. Following full initialisation of AutoCAD Civil 3D and the Geotechnical Module Plugin check the following folder has been regenerated C:\ProgramData\Keynetix\AutodeskGeotechnicalModule and confirm that it contains a SQL Server Compact file called styles.
  6. You should now be able to use the Styles and Hatch Manager and share Geotechnical styles between drawings

This should solve the SDF problem.

Regards

Message 17 of 24
neilyj666
in reply to: GaryMorin8439

Done all this and imported csv (remaned so not GEOL and HOLE) and Civil 3D crashed...Smiley Sad I restarted and opened the dwg from the recovery Manager and all seemed ok...Smiley Frustrated

EESignature

Message 18 of 24
jessica.kelly

Did you send the CER when you crashed? I just want to be sure I track down where it landed.

Also, in response to your earlier question: "presumably this recent V1 release is to iron out the initial problems and we wont see any more updates until 2015 product release...?" While I can't comment on the availablilty of future updates, I can tell you that we will update modules as we see necessary for both critical defect fixes and/or if we determine there is high value fucntionality to release to the market rather than only on an annual basis.

Jessica L. Kelly
Message 19 of 24
neilyj666

Thanks for this - there was no CER as it wasn't that sort of crash - see screenshot.

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you send the CER when you crashed? I just want to be sure I track down where it landed.

Also, in response to your earlier question: "presumably this recent V1 release is to iron out the initial problems and we wont see any more updates until 2015 product release...?" While I can't comment on the availablilty of future updates, I can tell you that we will update modules as we see necessary for both critical defect fixes and/or if we determine there is high value fucntionality to release to the market rather than only on an annual basis.

There are certainly two things that should be done immediately to increase the functionality of this module - how/where can I communicate this information to Autodesk?

EESignature

Message 20 of 24
jessica.kelly

Glad it wasn't that kind of crash...

You can send me the improvement requests for Geotechnical Module directly and I will get them logged.

Thanks!

Jessica L. Kelly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report