Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotechnical Module Add On for Civil 3D 2013 Subscription customers

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
neilyj666
4973 Views, 38 Replies

Geotechnical Module Add On for Civil 3D 2013 Subscription customers

From the blog  http://fromthegroundup.typepad.com/

Launched today for those customers with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013, the Autodesk Geotechnical Module is available as a download from the subscription centre (www.autodesk.com/subscription ) under the ‘AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Productivity Tools’.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
neilyj666
in reply to: GaryMorin8439

No problem - glad it's sorted.

Just about to try again with the files I posted previously

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 39
neilyj666

Worked like a charm now...Smiley Happy

As a suggestion for improvement it would be better to be able to select both HOLE and GEOL in the same vist when browsing and Adding to the dialog as they are alway both needed

EESignature

Message 23 of 39
TSymanneck
in reply to: neilyj666

Hello Together,

I have now the updated CSV-files - but no result. You can see this in the screenshot - what this means?

I save new drawing, in the folder I have two SDF-files - but no boreholes in the drawing, nothing. Did I need supportpaths? Wich one? Can I use the C3D-Template? What else?

I have C3D 2013 (German) with Update 1 on W7 64bit.

Best regards

Thomas

Message 24 of 39
GaryMorin8439
in reply to: TSymanneck

hi Thomas

If you like to post your CSV files I will take a look at them.

Regards Gary

Message 25 of 39
TSymanneck

Hi Gary,

"I have now the updated CSV-files - but no result." This means I have test it with YOUR CSV-Files. Or not?

Best regards

Thomas

Message 26 of 39
neilyj666

Post your csv files (change the extension to txt). I have tested this with my own csv files and it works fine

EESignature

Message 27 of 39
TSymanneck

Hello Together,

here are the files.

Best regards

Thomas

Message 28 of 39
neilyj666

Looks ok to me - the files MUST be called HOLE.csv and GEOL.csv

EESignature

Message 29 of 39
TSymanneck

Hi neilyi,

Shame on me!!! You are right - I must change the names. But my result looks not so fine. When you look in the properties from one DTM, you can see the problem. Template was acadiso.dwt.

Best regards

Thomas

Message 30 of 39
GaryMorin8439

Hi

I see the problem and I think I know what's causing it. I think it is caused by the language settings and the way the decimal point is being interpreted. 

As a very temporary workaround you could try changing your regional settings.

'Regional and Language settings' under the Windows Control Panel to English

I would be grateful if you could try in this and let me know if it this works.

We can then look at getting a permanent fix in a future release.

Thanks

Message 31 of 39
TSymanneck

Hi Gary,

YES! When I change the language settings, then it's all right. Then we are in hope for a fast update!

Best regards

Thomas

Message 32 of 39
pmascaro

Just to recap for all, because I've run into the same problems.

1. You have to make sure you have all of the Column Headings included in your .csv files or you will receive an error (even if you are not using the Headings, they must be included in your .csv

2. The Mandatory Settings for " hole.csv" Are as follows (Note: GroundLevel and FinalDepth were excluded from the original manual)

Columns in Hole that must be filled in. (Mandatory)

LocationID

LocationType

Easting

Northing

GroundLevel

FinalDepth

3. The Mandatory Settings for “ geol.csv “ are as follows (Note: They have not changed from the manual)

Columns in Geol that must be filled in. (Mandatory)

LocationID

DepthTop

DepthBase

Side Note:

I tried to attache template .csv files to this discussion group, but I get this error...

"The attachment's content type (application/vnd.ms-excel) does not match its file extension." I don't think it likes the latest version of Excel as I could not attach  .xlsx file either... I even tried renaming the .csv's to .txt's and I still got the error...

Message 33 of 39
neilyj666

the file names need to be in upper case at present. HOLE.csv and GEOL.csv.

Whilst this add on is very good at what it does you need to be aware of the limitations

EESignature

Message 34 of 39
pmascaro

Templates Attached.

Message 35 of 39
neilyj666

Looks like this has disappeared from the standalone Civil 3D 2014 and is only available in the Design Suite - nice move Autodesk, what exactly am I paying for with my subscription??

EESignature

Message 36 of 39
pmascaro

Sorry to hear this has happened to you! Maybe they will listen and add it back to subscription center too…

I think it’s safe to speculate that Civil 3D is being phased out as a standalone application and IDSP is the focal point moving forward. You do get a lot of added benefits with IDSP that really makes the cost worth it. I guess this is now one of them. If you hold out long enough, I would imagine they will role you into IDSP for free when they stop releasing Civil 3D as long as you stay on subscription, but if you really need the plugins that they’ve moved over to IDSP then I guess you’ll have to bit the bullet and make the upgrade now.

(I just consolidated all of our licensing across north America to find out I need to upgrade some of our suites from IDSP to IDSU… so I can still run the River Analyst Module that I’ve been beta testing for years now… Fun…I'm sure my IT Manger and CFO will love to hear that...)

Message 37 of 39
neilyj666
in reply to: pmascaro

@pmascaro wrote:

Sorry to hear this has happened to you! Maybe they will listen and add it back to subscription center too…

I think it’s safe to speculate that Civil 3D is being phased out as a standalone application and IDSP is the focal point moving forward. You do get a lot of added benefits with IDSP that really makes the cost worth it. I guess this is now one of them. If you hold out long enough, I would imagine they will role you into IDSP for free when they stop releasing Civil 3D as long as you stay on subscription, but if you really need the plugins that they’ve moved over to IDSP then I guess you’ll have to bit the bullet and make the upgrade now.

(I just consolidated all of our licensing across north America to find out I need to upgrade some of our suites from IDSP to IDSU… so I can still run the River Analyst Module that I’ve been beta testing for years now… Fun…I'm sure my IT Manger and CFO will love to hear that...)

I was quite suprised it was still standalone for 2013 after they announced the Suites in 2012 but there are other alternatives available e.g from Dotsoft

EESignature

Message 38 of 39
TerryDotson

there are other alternatives available e.g from Dotsoft

Thanks for the mention, we are adding support for the HOLE/GEOL ascii files to the MapWorks Geology Module today.

Message 39 of 39
rutar

Hello!

Is it possible to export Geotechnical Profile with boreholes to AutoCAD?

After export or exploding there are no borholes  on profile.

Is it possible to add "update" functionality to this module. If  GEOL or HOLE 

are changed - we must do all work from scratch?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report