Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotechnical Add on in 2014

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
neilyj666
541 Views, 8 Replies

Geotechnical Add on in 2014

Seems like the Geotechnical add on is only available via the Design Suite in 2014 - if this tool is not available for standalone Civil3D then poor show Autodesk Smiley Sad as this is the only worthwhile tool in the suite above what I usually use the upgrade cost isn't worth it....

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/included-software

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: neilyj666

Wow, that really is slap in the face.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Isn't it just....have to question the value of my subscription when the most useful tool in reent years is removed.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Yeah, and the River tools are only in the Ultimate suite. Hard to justify that just for something that's only used on rare occasions.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

The cynic in me might think that the Autodesk grand plan is for Civil 3D to be discontinued as a standalone product and just be sold as part of the suite with a lot of other stuff that is used very occasionally

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
tcorey

Everything I have heard from Autodesk makes me think Civil 3D and other single products will continue to be sold and supported for years to come.(I hope I don't have to eat my words one day )

I agree that the suites workflows are not for everyone, but to say the software provided is useless is going overboard. Useless for you doesn't mean useless for everyone.

Case in point, let's say you're a civil firm who specializes in transportation. Do you think it's useless to be able to easily create an animation of a new or to-be-modified highway? A big part of the job is getting approval and the great visualization provided in the suites helps, particularly when your audience is administrators, not engineers.

What if you're a city? Infraworks is part of the infrastructure suites. That's very useful for municipaliies.

Take a look at YouTube and see what some ciivil firms are doing with Navisworks and point clouds. I'm sure they dont' consider Navisworks useless.

All that said, yes, Autodesk does seem to want to blanket the user world with suites, while many many users will only use their single product. It's up to you and your reseller to come up with a single product vs. suites mix that makes the most sense for your firm. Each company will be different, no doubt. Particularly in the civil industry, if your reseller, without evaluating your users and workflows, tries to tell you that you should replace all your single products with suites, talk to a different reseller, one who will serve your best interests, not his own and Autodesk's.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 9
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: tcorey

I'd be happy if I could put together a "suite" of the tools I need. Give me a choice, priced accordingly. Many of the Ultimate tools we wouldn't use, but the River tools would be of benefit. It's hard to justify a $5k price difference just for River tools that would only be used occasionally. If I could pick and choose based on the tasks of our users, I'd be a happy camper. Lisa Pohlmeyer Dept. of Infrastructuredirect: 512-943-3364 main: 512-943-3330

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 8 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

I don't think I said the suites were useless (at least not in this thread) and I'm sure i could use some of the functionality e.g. Raster Design day to day.

Perhaps the suites will be a precursor to the "software as a service" model which is surely where all this Cloud stuff is heading.

I'm sure lots of people need to impress the people in suits" who write the cheques but many of us have to get out on site and shift the muck as efficiently as possible.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

@LisaPohlmeyer wrote:
I'd be happy if I could put together a "suite" of the tools I need. Give me a choice, priced accordingly. Many of the Ultimate tools we wouldn't use, but the River tools would be of benefit. It's hard to justify a $5k price difference just for River tools that would only be used occasionally. If I could pick and choose based on the tasks of our users, I'd be a happy camper. Lisa Pohlmeyer Dept. of Infrastructuredirect: 512-943-3364 main: 512-943-3330

Me too....

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report