Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation tab always loads at start

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
ChazBraz
8832 Views, 14 Replies

Geolocation tab always loads at start

Hopefully, this will be a quick one...

I have a new drawing in C3D 2015, and set my state plane coordinate system.  After working and saving, now every time I open the drawing, the Geolocation tab pops up as the starting ribbon panel.  And I can't delete the location marker (I never set one...), or it deletes the coordinate system, too.  Any way to have it go to the last ribbon tab that was loaded - the way it always works (and does if you don't have a coordiante system set).  I do this for all my drawings, so it's just annoying.

Thanks, Charles

Charles
Civil 3D 2020
Alienware Aurora R8
Win 10 Pro
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: ChazBraz

Edit the CUI to change the Contextual Ribbon behavior. 

4-21-2014 8-07-53 PM.png

Turn off the geolocation marker with Geomarkervisibility command.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff:

I have been wondering the same in regards to the Geolocation tab loading up first.  Using C3D 2014, the  only options I have are Full (original) or merged.  I changed to Merged but apparently it still is the same.  I reloaded C3D from scratch.

Bill

Message 4 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: wfberry

Not sure, Bill. In my install I don't even have a Geolocation Tab available in my CUI for 2014. You could just remove it from the Contextual Tab States section....
EESignature
Message 5 of 15
wfberry

Jeff:

That makes sense.  As I recall this was an add-in from my dealer.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 6 of 15
clemk

in Civil 3D 2015, the GEOLOCATION tab is the active tab everytime I open my template dwgs (which have geolocation embedded).  I dont mind the geolocation tab, I just do not want C3D to open this as the default tab.  Any idea how to make the "Home" tab the default?

thanks!

Message 7 of 15
neilyj666

Try opening the template and clicking the home tab then resave the template: it may do the trick

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: clemk

See my reply above to keep the Geolocation tab from being the active tab.
EESignature
Message 9 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:
Try opening the template and clicking the home tab then resave the template: it may do the trick

I talked about this on my thread about 2015. No matter what, C3D keeps making the Geolocation tab get the focus after every time the ribbon has changed due to contextual ribbons and selections. I believe it's because it's the last one on the ribbon and when an object that has it's own contextual ribbon is deselected, the ribbon defaults to the last one on the list, which is the Geolocation one. EDIT: I did change the UI to make the Geolocation tab Full without focus and that's seems to have solved this part, but not the automatic load at startup.

As to the startup always being the Geolocation tab, I don't know how to prevent it. No matter what it always gets the focus on load. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 15
ChazBraz
in reply to: clemk

That was my original question - even if I set to the home tab before saving and exiting, it wii still always load the geo tab. I haven't had time to try any of the contextual tab editing, but I think that the geodetic information in Civil 3d (which is more robust) and the geolocation routine in Autocad should be kept separate. It's like the old problem of setting Autocad units to surveyor unit caused problems with Land Desktop.
Charles
Civil 3D 2020
Alienware Aurora R8
Win 10 Pro
Message 11 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

As to the startup always being the Geolocation tab, I don't know how to prevent it. No matter what it always gets the focus on load. 

Remove it from the Contextual Ribbon Tab in the CUI and it no longer appears at startup.

EESignature
Message 12 of 15
Willy_Campbell

I followed Jeff_M's suggestion on the previous page to 'Change the Contextual Display Type' in the Civil CUI from the default 'Full with focus' to 'Full without focus.' [default Civil Workspace]

CUI> expand Ribbon> expand Tabs> select Geolocation from the list [near the bottom].
On the right hand side, find Contextual Display Type, change to 'Full without focus.'

User-added image

Once that was done, when I load any drawing that has a Coordinate System assigned, the Home tab loads as default. The Geoloation tab is still there and active, but not the 'focus.'

Willy Campbell
Message 13 of 15
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Jeff,

This worked for existing drawings as well as my QNew drawing, thanks for posting. (v 2015)

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 14 of 15
BlackBox_
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

@LisaPohlmeyer wrote:

Jeff,

This worked for existing drawings as well as my QNew drawing, thanks for posting. (v 2015)

1+

I have finally been using 2015 for production enough for this to have become annoying (some projects were in earlier versions and not brought into 2015), and @Jeff_M's earlier recommendation worked first try. *kudos*

Cheers

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 15 of 15
dbarker

Howdy,

I am working in AutoCAD 2015 with Civil 3D on Windows 7, 64 bit.  I have gone into CUI, but when I look up "Geo Coordinate System Assigned" in the Contextual Tab States under the Ribbon drill down, all I find is the following:

Geo Coordinate.PNG

Why can I not adjust the settings for this contextual tab?

Thanks in advance,

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report