Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEOID12A model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
d1of2
450 Views, 4 Replies

GEOID12A model

anyone know anything about using the new geoid that was released http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GEOID/USGG2012/

supossedly more accurate / corrected location data. Just what we need right... another coordinate system

Windows 7 64
Intel Core i7 2.0 GHz 2.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: d1of2

A Geoid is not a coordinate system, from NOAA:

geoid: The equipotential surface of the Earth's gravity field which best fits, in a least squares sense, global mean sea level

Bill

Message 3 of 5
ToddRogers-WPM

Link does not work.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 5
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

The Geoid model is used to correct GPS observations WGS84 Ellipsoidal height to the local Orthometric height (Mean Sea Level).  GEOID12. Changes impacted regions in the states of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GEOID/GEOID12/.

The Geiod Models are used in Software such as Leica LGO or Move3 to correct raw GPS observations to the local Orthometric height. In elevation critical applications observations should be made on at least 3 Bench Marks in the work area to establish the Plane of the local spheroid, and the field data adjusted.

Jim

E&P Geophysics Group

Matrix3Dsurveys

Message 5 of 5
d1of2
in reply to: MATRIX3DSURVEYS

I thought it was part of a coordinate system. As you mentioned, in order to get satalite aquired possitioing on to a ortho you need a geoid moodel, so in effect it is part of a coordinate system right?

I wasn't really asking a question, until now.

Windows 7 64
Intel Core i7 2.0 GHz 2.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report