Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Overlay and Mill Subassembly

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
869 Views, 18 Replies

Generic Overlay and Mill Subassembly

Good Morning/Evening/Night fellow AutoCADers,

I am after a SubAssembly that is something inbetween a "generic LinkOffsetAndSlope"  and the "OverlayMillAndLevel1" subassemblies. Below are the requirements I need from it:

1). Simply target pavement edge alignments and profiles for corridor width and slopes

2). Have a few pavement depths for putting in various pavement layers

3). In section view, hatch areas that require regulating material or milling as a result of the profile based corridor.

Basically, I have already undertaken the process that the mill and overlay tool does and have designed an overlay that is both longitudinally and transversely compliant. All I want to do now is show the pavement construction in section view that includes any resulting regulating or milling required.

Maybe there is no Subassembly that can do this or maybe I am missing something obvious. I am open for any suggestions no matter how outside of the box they are.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kind Regards,

Ross

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Basically, I have already undertaken the process that the mill and overlay tool does and have designed an overlay that is both longitudinally and transversely compliant. All I want to do now is show the pavement construction in section view that includes any resulting regulating or milling required.

How did you do that?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Through a complex system involving designing longitudinally compliant profiles along pavement edges and the centreline and projecting surfaces from the edges to the centreline at 1% and 1.5% (the accetable range of transverse compliance). Then tweaking the centreline so that it sits within this accetable range and is longitudinally complaint.

I know this sounds like an extensive process to take when the overlay and mill tool exists, however I prefer to have greater control over the longitudinal profile at the edges to ensure compliance over the entire width of the pavement. This can also result in a "tighter" design that requires less milling/regulating material.

Message 4 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I think the OverlayCrownBetweenEdges is designed for that?

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

My understanding of that subassembly is that it will produce a crowned pavement based on two edge profiles and a "Crown Height" parameter. My questions are as follows:

1). If the Crown Height has an input value that is set in the assembly, will that then provide a constant transverse slope throughout the corridor? (i.e. If one section has 1% on the left edge and 1.5% on the right, the crown height would be different than if it was 1% and 1%)

2). Would this work on pavements that transition from camber to crossfall?

3). Would the longitudinal profile along the centreline be complaint?

If the answer is yes for 2). and 3). and if there is some allowance for having varrying transverse slopes (1.)) than this would be an amazing time saver and would solve my original question!

Many thanks

Message 6 of 19
fcernst

You are going to want to use OverlayMillAndLevel2 to get the longitudinal and cross slope controls you're looking for. You can look at the various Slope Control tolerance cases for this subassembly and choose a tolerance that works for your project.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

Thank you Fred, however this assembly does not appear to be able to target edge profiles. I supose I could have used this from the start, however it would need to be able to ensure the following longitudinal compliance at pavement edges and the centreline:

1). Profile comprising of straights between curves

2). Slopes no greater than 1.25% or -1.25%

3). Curves with radii of 30000m

4). And a minimum distance between intersection points based on the three slopes involed and a coefficient

Message 8 of 19
fcernst

...however this assembly does not appear to be able to target edge profiles..

You can with this subassemby's capability.... I'll leave it as an exercise for you to cleverly imagine how.

You can obviously do 1 through 3 in your requirements, but I don't follow your #4 requirement.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Requirement 4 is one specific to runways. If you have a striaght --> Curve --> Straight2 --> Curve2 --> Straight3 than the formula for working out the minimum distance between the intersection points of the curves is:

(abs(SlopeStraight2 - SlopeStraight1) + abs(SlopeStraight3-SlopeStraight2))*30000

In either case, I do not believe these tools can generate the surface to the compliance requirements that I have.

Eitherway, thank you everyone for your help, my weekend begins in about 15 minutes!

I will check back in on Monday to see if anyone has come up with a solution to my original question.

Many thanks

Message 10 of 19
david.zavislan

Since you already have alignments and profiles created to control the generic link subassemblies, build the corridor from them.  Create corridor surfaces for each pavement levels.   Then, in  your cross sections (sample line group properties), you can apply surface material volumes to highlight the different overlay and mill areas.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 11 of 19
fcernst

"...Requirement 4 is one specific to runways. If you have a striaght --> Curve --> Straight2 --> Curve2 --> Straight3 than the formula for working out the minimum distance between the intersection points of the curves is:.."

Hold on....are you still talking about your Alignment? I thought you stated you were all "longitudinally compliant" and currently looking for a way to present the Overlay, Level and Mill shapes in Section.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 19
Joe-Bouza

@fcernst wrote:

...however this assembly does not appear to be able to target edge profiles..

You can with this subassemby's capability.... I'll leave it as an exercise for you to cleverly imagine how.

You can obviously do 1 through 3 in your requirements, but I don't follow your #4 requirement.

I cry Uncle, Fred. I have been cleverly trying for a long while now. Please, how bout a hint? A temporary surface must be involved. small corridor along ep following the desired pgl? something like that?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
sboon

Partially speculation but I'm thinking that it could be done with two LinkWidthAndSlope subs from centerline, targeted in the corridor to the edge alignments and profiles.  Use parameter references in the assembly to transfer the output slopes from these generic links to the overlay sub.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 14 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Interesting, Steve. Am I infering correctly the LWS subs are connected at the crown and links obviously off for surface bla bla..?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
sboon

Yes they have no codes and the link is turned off.  They're only there to provide the slope information to the milling sub.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 16 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Makes perfect sense. Why didn't I put 2 and 2 together?
2 kudos Steve, one from me one from my alter ego

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: david.zavislan

David.Zavislan,

That is exactly what I was looking for, many thanks! Kudos coming your way!

I got this working but the volume hatch does not seem to differentiate between milling and regulating, do you know of any way to make the hatch have a different colour for each option?

Message 18 of 19
david.zavislan

The hatching is controlled by the shape style that you are applyling to the material.

SectionMaterialShape.png

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thanks David,

Any chance you could send that screenshot again with the "Ground Removed" and "Ground Fill" Expanded so that I can see what settings you used for each surface?

**EDIT: I got it working fine, I realised in the section view properties under sections there is another option for setting the shape style that overides teh sample group property style.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report