Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Links weirdness

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
neilyj666
499 Views, 6 Replies

Generic Links weirdness

Any one shed any light on this issue?

I'm building a corridor for a small temporary river diversion from generic links that should be 3m either side with an additional 1m (for erosion protection) to the LHS as shown in the lower image.

I created the assembly but the corridor wasn't building correctly until I altered the 1m link to be 4m as shown in the upper image and the corridor built as expected (lower image) i.e. 4m to the LHS rather than the 7m that the assembly suggests

I'm totally baffled with this and have never had this issue with generic links which I typically use in preference to the prebuilt assemblies. I'm up against it time wise on this so can't take a closer look until next week but at least I have the corridor working as expected.

Thanks 

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I think whats going on is in layout mode the link offset is from the assmebly basepoint; so if you used one meter it thought it was daylighting fron one meter out.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

That seems to be what was happening in the corridor initially - not very inuitive as the help refers to the attachment point rather than assembly basepoint - is this a bug or intended behaviour?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
sboon

This thread may be helpful.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for that Steve - exactly what is happening; I still think it is very confusing and counter intuitive sonsidering I'm providing all the parameters and it can be built in layout mode so it looks correct, it just doesn't build the corridor correctly in this case.

I suppose my workaround is to just have a 4m offset (rather than 3m and 1m) which is how I've done it in the past and hence never had this issue before.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
MikeEvansUK

I think this has always been the case. The Links offset/width value is calcalated from the Baseline so your 4m offset should be 7m hence why the resultant section is drawn as a 1m off of the insertion point. Agreed it's counter intiative, I normally use an offset target to control this so have never really had the issue.

Have you tried to change the offset / width value to 7m so that it is drawn as 4m?

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 7
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I thought a link's "offset" is measured from baseline, but "width" is measured from attachment point?
Regardless, I don't know why in layout mode "offset" links display as if the 'offset' is their actual width. Dumb behaviour.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report