Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generation of contours from tin surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
8172 Views, 9 Replies

generation of contours from tin surface

hi friends,
I am facing a big problem with my project. only tin surface i am having with project and i want to generate contours. could someone guide me that how can I generate contours from tin surface in Civil 3D without having any other input data.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am going to try to write this reply in a simple way because of language.
Please read carefully.

If I am understanding your situation accurately, you need to draw POLYLINEs,
at elevation, where you want your contours to be then add them as contour
data within your surface. Note that you do not have to draw every contour
for consistent slope areas.

Civil3D cannot display contours for a surface that has no data within it.

wrote in message news:5581143@discussion.autodesk.com...
hi friends,
I am facing a big problem with my project. only tin surface i am having with
project and i want to generate contours. could someone guide me that how can
I generate contours from tin surface in Civil 3D without having any other
input data.
Message 3 of 10
dgordon

What i'm reading is that you have a tin already in the drawing. 3dfaces. Once you create a surface there is a option under definition that allows you to add autocad objects. One of them is 3dfaces. Once the triangles are added this way, you simple apply a surface style that displays contours.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 10
racerpix2002

... or perhaps he means that he has a TIN surface, but does not know how to make it display contours .... in which case he would have to change the surfacec style (turn contours on and all other componants off in the display tab).
Message 5 of 10
kcobabe

What I am gathering is that he has a tin file that he needs to use to create contours.

Steps:

1. Open toolspace and click on the "Prospector" tab
2. Go down to the "Surface" and expand (click on the +)
3. If you already created a surface from the tin it will show up here and you can skip to step 6
4. If the surface does not exist right click on "Surface" and select "Import TIN..."
5. Browse to the file and select it. Your surface will now show up in the window, unless you have other items drawn. In that case do a zoom to extents
6. All you will see is the border now you need to go to the "Settings" tab under toolspace.
7. Just like in the "Prospector" you need to expand "Surface" then expand "Surface Styles"
8. Double click on "Standard"
9. To show the contours go to the "Display" tab and click the light bulb next to "Major Contours" and "Minor Contours."
10. Depending on how you want your contours displayed click on the "Contours" tab. This tab controls how contours will be displayed (although they do not affect the color or linetype) You can make them spline, curve, different intervals, etc...
11. If you want 1' and 5' contours expand "Contour Intervals" and for minor type 1. It should change the major interval to 5 automaotically.

And that's how you get contours from a TIN.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

ohhhh...yes........its working....
realy so simple...
thanks a lot..
have a nice day
bye
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

ok...
thanks "kcobabe" for detail description / procedure of same.
realy i impressed on your way to guide anyone in detail.
thanks a lot for same
Message 8 of 10
cole.martin
in reply to: kcobabe

Finally, an actual detailed answer on how to do something! Please answer more questions!
Message 9 of 10
abass5B6UG
in reply to: kcobabe

This is very useful but it is only a display of contours within the Tin file, can I save these contours as polylines to a contour layer for inclusion in drawings on cad LT by other staff.

Message 10 of 10
johngordon6189
in reply to: abass5B6UG

yes, by selecting the surface and going up to the contextual toolbar and selecting the extract from surface button.  from there you can select the visible items from the surface you want to extract and place into the drawing that you could then copy or reference into another drawing.

John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report