Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Note Label with Expression

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
langrobbins4254
1020 Views, 3 Replies

General Note Label with Expression

Good morning all. I was wondering  if it is possible to use an expression in a general note label? The type of label I am using is a general note label that displays our finish grade profile elevation in plan view. What I am trying to do is add a value to that label for the TC elevation and G at the ROW. I noticed in the settings tab of the tool space, surfaces has an expression button that has what I want but I am not seeing that under General/Label Styels/Note. Is it possible to right my own expression? Any help will be greatly appreciated. We are using Civil 3D 2008 with Windows XP.

Lang

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
troma
in reply to: langrobbins4254

I just checked and it seems that this option has been added since 2008, so it is not available to you.  But even so, I don't think it would accomplish your goal.

Where did you expect the label to get the data for the elevation?  Even in the newest version (AFAIK) you cannot use a General Note Label to pull profile elevations into plan.

You can use an alignment label with reference text to display this info.  There are other options too involving corridors and either labelling a surface or extracting a featureline to label.  (I don't see the option that I have in 2011 to create a featureline from an alignment with profile data; looks like that wasn't there in 2008, or I'm missing it.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 4
langrobbins4254
in reply to: troma

This is what we do: instead of creating proposed surfaces and using surface labels to display elevations at given points, we just create a proposed pofile for the centerline grade and label that. This is what we we do most of the time because for most of what we do, creating a surface, feature line or corridor, etc... is more work than it is worth. Having said all that, this how we set it up: create the profile of the existing surface, add the the proposed centerline profile to that profile view, create a data shortcut of that proposed profile, data ref that profile into our drawing that has our layout tabs setup for plotting, use a general note label style that has a reference text in it which is profile and then use this label to labe the proposed center line in plan view. When you add label, it ask you to select label location and then ask you which profile it is you want to label. What we want to do is add a certain value to that label for the TC grades and ROW grades to avoid creating the corridor and surface model. I know this may seem to be backwards of the way Civil 3D works, but is still quicker and easier than doing all the surface modeling and uses a lot less memory/processing resources and we are running extremely tight on funds, that is the reason we are still using 2008, no funds to upgrade.

Message 4 of 4
troma
in reply to: langrobbins4254

Well you already proved me wrong already! I never thought of reference text within a general note label.
I just tried creating expressions in the profile label styles. I thought I'd be able to access these expressions with reference text in the general note label too, but they didn't show up in the list for me.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report