Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

general guidelines neede please

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
achillesgr
347 Views, 2 Replies

general guidelines neede please

I am new to civil3d and the autocad philosophy and i need some help to clear some things  so to get the things right from the bigining.

1. Should i draw properties boundaries or roads or survey objects with pline or lines?

2d or 3d?

The line tool and the pline tool at the home tab are using the 2d or the 3d?

I have points that have some elevation and a pline that folows them in space. How can i measure the projected area of the pline?

2.i need to be able to mark the area of obgects,properties and so on , but how to do it?is parsels the only way?

3.how should i use the databases? Should i throw thaem every survey point i have after a field measurment and then use it as an archive of points?that is the meaning of databases?so far after a survey i threw the points directly as txt file and thats it.every drawing have its own points.is that correct?

4.what does the byblock means under the dimensioning styles? Yes i understand the byblock if i have a block object but in dim styles? Why an extension line for example is set to byblock?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mathewkol
in reply to: achillesgr

1. Plines or lines, it doesn't reallyt matter as long as their drawn.   If there's a chance you need to measure a closed area or hatch a closed area then I would use polylines.  The polyline line command is usually set up to draw 2D polylines and that's fine.  2D drawing is what most users do unless you're using the modeling tools like corridors, pipes, grading etc.

4.  ByBlock for DIMS does the same thing it does for blocks.  Think of a dimention as a block. Objects in a block or in a dim with their colour set to ByBlock allow those objects to change colour if the user changes the colour of that block or dim.  Imagine you've inserted a block on a RED layer, it probably turns red.  Manually chnage its colour to blue.  It will only change to blue if the colour of the objects that make up the block definition are set to ByBlock.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 3
troma
in reply to: achillesgr

2. You can set up a Line label to display the area, so you can label the area of any polyline.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report