Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front faces dont render in viz render for civil 3d

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
albionpjl
306 Views, 10 Replies

front faces dont render in viz render for civil 3d

I've been experimenting with the copy of viz render for civil 3D that came with civil 3D, but I am having some problems. For a start the tutorials (in viz) don't work; when I select tutorials from the help menu nothing happens.
So I made a simple 3D drawing in civil 3D comprising two thickened closed polylines and a tube made by rulesurf between two closed polylines, and linked it to viz render.
I found that the rulesurf tube doesn't render properly; only the back faces render, the front becomes invisible. I tried exploding it into 3dfaces with no improvement.
I have a 3D castle reconstruction I want to try animating in viz render but most of the building surfaces are rulesurf and the same thing happens to them.
Is there a way to make rulesurf surfaces render properly in viz render?
And can anyone suggest what may be preventing the tutorials working and a way to fix it?
thanks
Joan
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
albionpjl
in reply to: albionpjl

I'm beginning to understand the 'logic' to this. It is only recognising one side of each 3dface as valid. If that side is facing the front you can see it and it gets rendered, if not,it is invisible.
I've found a way to flip the faces but that isn't really do-able for a large structure with thousands of the things.
Is there a way to set it to recognise and show both sides of all 3d faces (unless obscured by another of course) like autocad render does?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Hey Joan; Sorry, no clue re. viz render. But your tutorials may be hiding because of a GID file in your Help folder. I found references to this behavior by entering "land tutorial" in a Search of the Autodesk Knowledge Base. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2899171&linkID=2475507 Before you start the process to get rid of this file, you should exit from all AutoCad sessions. It's a hidden file so you will have to go to Windows Explorer and click the Tools pulldown; then Folder Options; then View tab: Select the Show hidden files and folders option, then select the Civil 3D/Help folder to see if you can find one. Then delete it and start up C3D to see if the tutorials act normally once more. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "albionpjl" wrote in message news:20856489.1099991632983.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I've been experimenting with the copy of viz render for civil 3D that came with civil 3D, but I am having some problems. For a start the tutorials (in viz) don't work; when I select tutorials from the help menu nothing happens. > So I made a simple 3D drawing in civil 3D comprising two thickened closed polylines and a tube made by rulesurf between two closed polylines, and linked it to viz render. > I found that the rulesurf tube doesn't render properly; only the back faces render, the front becomes invisible. I tried exploding it into 3dfaces with no improvement. > I have a 3D castle reconstruction I want to try animating in viz render but most of the building surfaces are rulesurf and the same thing happens to them. > Is there a way to make rulesurf surfaces render properly in viz render? > And can anyone suggest what may be preventing the tutorials working and a way to fix it? > thanks > Joan
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hey Joan; You will probably get more response out of the several autodesk.viz Newsgroups. Most of us civil types don't get into the art of our field, but if you are willing to think outside the box (and with your castle reconstruction reference you obviously are one of those folks), it has a very big place to enable us to show how our projects will fit into the surrounding terrain. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "albionpjl" wrote in message news:17435316.1100007738594.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm beginning to understand the 'logic' to this. It is only recognising > one side of each 3dface as valid. If that side is facing the front you can > see it and it gets rendered, if not,it is invisible. > I've found a way to flip the faces but that isn't really do-able for a > large structure with thousands of the things. > Is there a way to set it to recognise and show both sides of all 3d faces > (unless obscured by another of course) like autocad render does?
Message 5 of 11
albionpjl

Hi Don
thanks, but no luck. The only GID is a readme.gid. I did get rid of it but it made no difference. Guess I'll just have to study the help files.

Joan
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Hi, I haven't tried it yet in viz render - but if viz render is like viz you may be able to define a 2 sided material at the material level. If you can set 2 sided as a setting for materials then make a two sided material and apply it to the geometry in question and you should be good to go. However there is a penalty in terms of rendering time as you are forcing the processor to consider 2 sides of the face which can never be visible simultaneously so the rendering times can be affected - it may be unnoticeable or add a significant amount of time depending on the complexity of the rendering in question. Last but not least - I reiterate my call for Beta testers for RDV (Rapid Design Visualization - a package we developed to take all the difficult questions out of the process for the standard Civil3D design engineer). You can download the RDV beta from: beta.rdvsystems.com Good Luck, Natan "albionpjl" wrote in message news:17435316.1100007738594.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm beginning to understand the 'logic' to this. It is only recognising one side of each 3dface as valid. If that side is facing the front you can see it and it gets rendered, if not,it is invisible. > I've found a way to flip the faces but that isn't really do-able for a large structure with thousands of the things. > Is there a way to set it to recognise and show both sides of all 3d faces (unless obscured by another of course) like autocad render does?
Message 7 of 11
nzeeben

Somewhere on the viz render import process there will be an option to show both sides or a face. I can't remember where exactly it is at the moment.
Message 8 of 11
albionpjl

Hi Natan,
thanks, I have now found the 2-sided setting once I knew what it was likely to be called. A lot of the problem I'm having is not knowing the jargon terms for things so I don't know what to type into help (whether LDT,C3D or Viz render). I'm an archaeologist not a civil design engineer. It's a pity the programme can't just work out which side is facing the viewer and render that side.
Joan
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Joan, Glad you found the answer. "It's a pity the programme can't just work out which side is facing the viewer and render that side." Well essentially that is what the 2-sided setting does for you!!! Actually the terms used have nothing to do with either archaelogy of civil engineering design - they are the jargon of visualization programs such as 3DStudio MAX, VIZ etc... Again I would encourage you to take a look at RDV - as we have tried to make it as simple as possible to do easy visualization without being a visualization expert. http://beta.rdvsystems.com Any other problems with visualization please do not hesitate to call on me. Yours, Natan "albionpjl" wrote in message news:28420297.1100254503347.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi Natan, > thanks, I have now found the 2-sided setting once I knew what it was likely to be called. A lot of the problem I'm having is not knowing the jargon terms for things so I don't know what to type into help (whether LDT,C3D or Viz render). I'm an archaeologist not a civil design engineer. It's a pity the programme can't just work out which side is facing the viewer and render that side. > Joan
Message 10 of 11
albionpjl

Hi again Natan,
I've downloaded it, if my computer at home can run it (i think it's got 256 ram is that enough?). I'll let you know what I think
Ta
Joan
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Joan,
A tutorial was not included with VIZ Render. The tutorial item on the help menu should have been removed to avoid this confusion.
-Karla Leighton, Autodesk Technical Publications

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report