Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame/Sheet Create Template

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
834 Views, 4 Replies

Frame/Sheet Create Template

I was wondering if a template used to create frames using the create frame tool in autocad civil 3D should have the same datum, projection as the files that are being referenced? Or is the template independent from from the reference files and does not need any datum, projection setting applied to it? Sorry if it sounds a little confusing. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Thats a very good question. I don't know. If I were at  a WS I'd try it and let you know

Maybe you could run one and and report back?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

All files were created initially from the same template, therefore they all share the same origin. The base files which are xrefed into the template where the only ones set to a specific datum, projection as they imported within them shape files. I have run the frame/sheet create tool along an alignment using a file which shares the same origin as all the files xrefed within the template used, but is not set to a specific datum, projection. The template is also not set to a datum, projection, but is also created using the same template, therefore shares the same origin. All files are set to WCS. Once I create the sheets all the xref files are exactly where they should be and I can read the same coordinates from model space as I do within the original file being referenced. I guess my only concern is that when for example, lets say, survey data gets imported at a later date, will it in theory overlay exactly as the xrefed files once it gets xrefed in to each layout?

I'm beginning to think that the template and a temp file used to create an alignment for frame creation are not required to be set to a datum, projection since they where all created from the same template and are set to WCS as well.

I just don't know how autocad treats these type of sceneries.

Message 4 of 5
BrianHailey
in reply to: Anonymous

I just did a little testing. If the source drawing has a coordinate system (CS) and the template doesn't, the new drawings do NOT have a CS assigned to them. If you assign a CS to the template, then the new drawings will have that CS.

It's easy enough to create a new template that is specific to that particular project and assign a CS to it.

If you don't, everything should work just fine unless you need to do some sort of coordinate system transformation (connect via MAP, survey data, importing points, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks for the replies.

Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

In the event that Points/survey data where to be imported, they would not be imported into the layout sheet\file which is not set to any particular datum, projection because they would not overlay.

But instead, Points would be imported into a new file set to that particular cs that all the other xrefed files were set to and then xrefed in to the sheet which has no set cs.

Or instead points/survey data would be imported into an existing base file, set to a cs, which was originaly xrefed into the template file that was used to create the sheets.

So only xrefing a base file that matched all other base files which were originaly xrefed in the template would overlay correct, and nothing imported into the sheet directly would import correctly?

Is this correct?

Thanks again, for helping understand this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report