Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flattening to zero elevation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wbrustle
513 Views, 3 Replies

flattening to zero elevation

Hello,

I have a drawing done in Civil 3d 2013 with a surface included that I sent off to the client. They have Civil 3D, but don't use it as an entire company. They use 2012. What they normally do is save down the drawing to 2012 using Civil 3d, but in this case the woman I spoke to had to save it down to 2007 to be able to see everything (not sure why). Their practice is to take all objects (including surface...which by the way I didnt know you could explode the surface object) and flatten the entire drawing to zero so they can snap to any object without getting a "z" value. The problem is, after flattening everything, not all objects flattened and there are lines that project way, way out of view. Any help would be appreciated. Should I prepare a drawing myself before I send it off to them. If so, what is it I need to do?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: wbrustle

Do you know what TYPE of elements are "way out"?  Are they lines?  Polylines?  If you know that, you can use the "Filter" command to select (for example) lines with a start pt OR end pt NOT equal zero.  Then you can change those elevations to zero using the properties box.

But I think this is "treating the symptoms instead of the disease" -- meaning I'd try to find out find out WHY it's happening so you can prevent it in the future.  I'd also try to find out more about the reason for the diff version.

EIDT:  I see that you say they're lines.  If they are really acad lines (and not some c3d proxy object or something), you're golden.  Also - be sure you're in the right UCS when you flatten them.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
jmayo-EE
in reply to: wbrustle

Wow. Sounds like it should be there problem not yours...

OSNAPZ is the fast fix for them....

Export to dwg (I think you do this in house and then deliver)

Open dwg

Explode all blocks

Repeat untill all blocks are reduced to what you need

Use Flatten or the properties dialog to flatten it all manually with the Object Filter pulldown.

I would hope they are paying you for their work. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
doni49
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:

Wow. Sounds like it should be there problem not yours...

That was my first thought too.  But then I realized that it depends on 1) who is the client and 2) what does the contract say about transferring files to and from.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report