Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat surface contours, sporadic and unpredictable

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AbsKelvin
2630 Views, 6 Replies

Flat surface contours, sporadic and unpredictable

I often have to do storm pond surfaces that (for the purposes of planning) are flat on the bottom. These surfaces are created from a combination of survey data and grading groups and the tin of these surfaces is perfectably acceptable. However, when contours are shown, the flat bottom is shown with contours jig-jagging all over the place.

The attached image shows a comparison of the same pond. The top was created with survey data and grading groups; the bottom was created using contour data only. The generated surface on the top shows the bottom contour going in different directions and has parts where the an expected contour is missing.

Any ideas on how to correct/manipulate the surface to show a proper flat surface?

Thanks!

Kelvin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nvengineer
in reply to: AbsKelvin

You might be able to get away with adding a point of two to the middle of the bottom that is 0.01 feet lower than your bottom contour.  This might get rid of the flat area (that could be causing the "jig-jagging"), but it won't be low enough to change volumes or add an additional unwated contour line.

Message 3 of 7
AbsKelvin
in reply to: nvengineer

That clears up a lot of frustration. I was thinking I was missing an obscure setting, but this is a easy workaround. Many, many thanks!

Message 4 of 7
MarySeufert
in reply to: AbsKelvin

Hi Kelvin,

Try this, under Prospector->Surfaces->(Your Surface)->Definition->Edits, if multiple edits exist, delete them one by one starting with the first listed (oldest). This will get rid of interpolations that C3D added as you created the surface, which may now be interfering with newer data and causing the weirdness. This has worked for me with similar looking surfaces.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 5 of 7
MarySeufert
in reply to: MarySeufert

Nevermind, you found a way while I was away from my desk! Smiley Very Happy

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 7
eladkcem
in reply to: nvengineer

I've come across a variation on this solution that will help with more complicated areas. Instead of just adding a point with a slightly lower elevation, consider offsetting the feature line of the toe of the slope and adjusting the elevation of that feature line by a small value. This helped fix my rather complicated/narrow flat area (whereas the point approach required many points to make the contours right...)

cheeers.

-d

Message 7 of 7
CADmgrMike
in reply to: eladkcem

We had this same issue just now and after some out of the box thinking we found something that worked.

We were trying to grade to elevation 271.00 with 1' & 5' contours for surface display and the 271.00 contour was all wonky.

Edited the grading to 3 decimal places (270.999) and when the grading rebuilds, the surface contours are fine and showing a flat surface.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report