Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the intersection between two surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ignich
13139 Views, 7 Replies

Finding the intersection between two surfaces

I know that I am stretching the limits of Civil 3D 2011 with this request but I wanted to check to see if it could be done.  I have several surfaces, each defining a bedding plane in rock.  Additionally, I have a surface defining the project excavation. I need to find some key points (x,y,z) where the existing surfaces intersect with the excavation.  I have tried to paste one surface into another but I am not able to snap to any points on the surfaces to give me coordinates.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: ignich

Volume Surfaces, the 0 elevation is the point of intersection between 2 surfaces. Create a surface style that shows just User Defined Contours, set the surface's UDC's to use just the 0 elevation, extract the UDC's. Do this for each pair of surfaces you wish to examine.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
neilyj666

There's also minimum distance between surfaces - outputs a series of lines in 2011 but a polyline in 2012 - which may be a better option

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

....and these lines can be joined and converted to features to get the z value from the excavation surface.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
ignich

Thank you for your help.  I did find success using the minimum distance between two surfaces command, but only because I wasn't clear on your procedure.  It sounds like a handy solution to have available and I would like to learn the procedure to use in the future. I will have a look in the Users Guide for more information on the process.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
peterfunkautodesk

The lines in 2011 and the polylines in 2012 are 3D at the elevations of intersections.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
neilyj666

I seem to remember that the lines in 2011 were only really of any use as a visual clue to the interface of two surfaces whereas the polyline in 2012 is much more useful

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Dexterel
in reply to: neilyj666

I posted an idea that may help (see link). If you feel is useful please support it.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/past-one-surface-into-another-with-a-top-or-bot...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report