Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find path of determined slope along a surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Postmaster_G
991 Views, 3 Replies

Find path of determined slope along a surface

So I am trying to draw an alignment for a road.  I want the alignment to represent the outside of the curve as the road climbs up and around a mound. Is there not way to do this in Civil 3D?!?

I have read this post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/How-to-draw-a-3d-pline-at-a-designed-grade-on...

and this post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Feature-Line-at-Grade/m-p/1533814/highlight/t...

and now I am thinking I will have to do this manually, extract contours, and trim/extend my way to victory...

I really would like to have this in a dynamic situation so I can make adjustments.  Also, it would be adventageous to have the line actually follow the grade so I dont have to add curves in etc later...

I do not have money to spend on an add on, I wish I did!

-Meow
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TerryDotson
in reply to: Postmaster_G

For those that would consider an add-on, follow this link.

Autodesk Exchange Store - GradePoly

Message 3 of 4
Neilw_05
in reply to: Postmaster_G

I've dealt with this scenario more than a few times. You won't find a dynamic solution. Terry's tool is probably the best option. Use it as a guide to layout an alignment. Once you have the alignment you can run the tool with different parameters to make adjustments.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 4
Postmaster_G
in reply to: TerryDotson

@TerryDotson wrote:

For those that would consider an add-on, follow this link.

Autodesk Exchange Store - GradePoly

I appreciate this response, except I clearly state I do not have the money for this add-on.

When I do, I will most likely purchase this as it seems very useful.

Here is an idea.  I would pay twice as much for an add-on that would consider this situation:

...So I want my outside edge of road to ride the slope at x%.  I want my road to have a fixed width. I want the inside of the road to also be at x%.  I would like my minimum turning radius to be y-distance. Press go and it will give the required centerline and edges of road.

The cost of the add on being near 1% the cost of the program is not bad at all, 60 bucks is a bit steep for one feature though...

I wish guys like you worked for autodesk so this would just be in the program.  That or they should totally buy this from you (guess they are cheap like me)!

-Meow

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report