Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find acreage of sketched polyline, without having to create "parcels"

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
mcloughlin
5711 Views, 23 Replies

Find acreage of sketched polyline, without having to create "parcels"

In Civil Design 2014, we are sketching closed polylines as parcel alternatives as the client watches. The client expects us to be able to sketch a parcel on his scaled map, then click it and see an acreage. Not too complicated, right? Is there a way simply to click on a closed polyline and obtain an acreage for it, as one could do in LDD? Just click on an object (not a "parcel," but a polyline enclosing an area) and find its area in acres? Shouldn't be too difficult for a sophisticated program like this, right? Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: mcloughlin

In the Properties click the calculator button to the right of the area which is currently stated in feet. This will open up the QuickCalc. Here you can use the Units Conversion setting the Units Type to Area, and Convert From to Sq. Ft and Convert To to Acres. Then click the Value to convert and it will pull in the SF area from the properties. 

Probably not as simple as you were looking for... I'm sure someone out there has made a LSP application you can load to add the command to output both the SF and ACRE conversion.

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 24
mcloughlin
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thank you, KMercier.  Properties of which?  I have been using the "Analyze" tab "area" button to obtain square feet.  Are you using another method?

Message 4 of 24
KMercier_C3D

The Properties of the polyline. 4-1-2014 11-35-47 AM.jpg

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 5 of 24
jmayo-EE

I use a C3D line label for this.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 24
Pointdump

McL,

Just keep an old computer set up with LDD, so that anytime you need to do something faster, easier, and better than C3D, you can fire up the old computer and impress your client.

smile.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 24
SurveyorLee

If it it a closed polyline, I would just use the "area" command. I'm an old DOS guy, so i just type AREA at the command prompt.  Follow the prompt for object or points. Select the object and press enter.  the area is shown the command line.  It is in square feet, not acres.  A spread sheet with a formula can fix that.

Surveyor Lee

Message 8 of 24
susanhunter1

Here is a lisp routine that calculates acreage without hauling out a calculator. I added it to my acaddoc.lisp so I don't need to upload it all the time. Enjoy.

Susan H.
Message 9 of 24

sq. ft divided by 43560 will give acres.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 10 of 24
troma
in reply to: ericcollins6932

Message 11 of 24
mcloughlin
in reply to: susanhunter1

Judging from the series of responses I received, I think I was unclear.  

I was simply searching for a way using Civil 3D 2014 to click on a sketched polyline and retrieve an area in acres, as in LDD, without having to perform an additional calculation each time (or run two computers, as one wag suggested!).  Surely, I can find the square feet in a polyline and divide it by 43560, but when a client is watching and making grunty supervisory noises ("Jeez, man, can't that fancy program just give you acres?"), it is always nice simply to click and display acreages without jumping to another calculation with each attempt.  

This series of responses suggests to me that Civil 3D 2014 lacks such a capacity.  Susan Hunter's lisp routine works, though.  Many thanks.  

Message 12 of 24
mcloughlin
in reply to: troma

Judging from the series of responses I received, I think I was unclear.  

I was simply searching for a way using Civil 3D 2014 to click on a sketched polyline and retrieve an area in acres, as in LDD, without having to perform an additional calculation each time (or run two computers, as one wag suggested!).  Surely, I can find the square feet in a polyline and divide it by 43560, but when a client is watching and making grunty supervisory noises ("Jeez, man, can't that fancy program just give you acres?"), it is always nice simply to click and display acreages without jumping to another calculation with each attempt.  

This series of responses suggests to me that Civil 3D 2014 lacks such a capacity.  Susan Hunter's lisp routine works, though.  Many thanks.  

Message 13 of 24
cwitzel

You can also use an mtext object.  While in the Mtext editor ctrl F to get to the field editor, select object then area.  Under additonal formats use a conversion factor 1/43560 (0.000022956841).  This mtext object will be semi dynamic.  Requires a regen.  You would have to repoint the field every time the polyline changed.

Line and Curve labels can also be used.  In tool space settings expand  General - Label Styles - Lines create an expression Overall Area/43560  Name it acres and insert it into single segment label. Isn't perfect as it labels along a line segment.

Why not use parcels though.  Isn't that a much easier solution?

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 14 of 24
Pointdump
in reply to: cwitzel

CW,

Can you elaborate on that a little? How do you tie an MText Object to a Polyline Object?

I'm in favor of using Parcels, myself, but I'm all for learning something new and cool.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 15 of 24
Jeff_M
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

How do you tie an MText Object to a Polyline Object?

Dave

As Conan noted "While in the Mtext editor ctrl F to get to the field editor, select object then area. " When selecting the object, physically select the polyline.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 24
Pointdump
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Wow! I'm going to play with this one!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 24
Joe-Bouza

As John Mayo stated near the top of this thread; use a line label style

Set up the style to report the acreage of a closed pline, sketch and label
This has an added benefit of being dynamic. Once labeled you can grip edit the pline and the acreage measurement will update!

Not quite like LDT, just better.

C3d wants a zen type approach. once you clear your mind of what was, and open it to what can be, you will discover a treasure trove within civil 3d

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 24
Pointdump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is way cool:

Lot_Label1.png

Puts a serviceable, but uninspiring, label thusly:

Lot_Label2.png

John Mayo's Line Label Style also works very well.

These labels have their uses, but I think making a Parcel is the best, easiest way. It's dynamic and you can change the style for any look you want. Onward, to 2015!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 19 of 24
caddie99

a civil 3d line label will work on a closed or open poly line

sketch it up and add this line label

now you can grip/drag to see the updated area

areapolylinec3dlinelabel.JPG

Message 20 of 24
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Pointdump

Way too much clicking and copying using fields & text IMO.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report