Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File open/save browser window disappeared

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
9281 Views, 5 Replies

File open/save browser window disappeared

I wonder if anyone can help... no options or settings have been changed within Civil 3D (that i am aware of anyway) but whenever i try open, save, import, export etc any drawings/files the browser window where you select where your file is saved/where you want to save it no longer shows - instead AutoCad asks me to type in the full file path name of where the drawing is stored. As you can imagine this is massively annoying as I have to save direct to my c:\ drive then cut & paste the file were i want it everytime i save a new drawing. I've tried all the options and help files but can't find anywhere where to turn this option back on. Does anybody know what i could have done to cause this and how i can set it back? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

cmddia=1
filedia=1

wrote in message news:5007202@discussion.autodesk.com...
I wonder if anyone can help... no options or settings have been changed
within Civil 3D (that i am aware of anyway) but whenever i try open, save,
import, export etc any drawings/files the browser window where you select
where your file is saved/where you want to save it no longer shows - instead
AutoCad asks me to type in the full file path name of where the drawing is
stored. As you can imagine this is massively annoying as I have to save
direct to my c:\ drive then cut & paste the file were i want it everytime i
save a new drawing. I've tried all the options and help files but can't find
anywhere where to turn this option back on. Does anybody know what i could
have done to cause this and how i can set it back? Thanks
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I have been trying very hard to use Civil 3D exclusively for my projects, but it is getting harder and harder to maintain my patience, not to mention production. Just about the time I think I have something figured out the software finds a new way to confuse me. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I like the program but there are a great many lose ends hanging out on Civil 3D that make if difficult, if not impossible to continue to work like this. I was told when we bought the package that most people were only doing certain things in Civil 3D and taking the project back into Landesktop to finish it off. That sounds great but in our case it's not very practical. We have using Softdesk 8 and AutoCAD R14 for years until the powers that be decided to upgrade. I am all for an upgrade as it was supposed to bring us up to speed with the current standards. As of now, I am the only one in our office really using Civil 3D and if I can't make it start to show a profit soon then I am afraid we will go back to our antique, although still functioning software.

I have used several other software packages including SDRC Ideas, which is a UNIX base CAD package. To me it appears that AutoDesk is trying to finally get their software to a point that many others have been at for a long time.

Forgive my complaining but I have been using AutoCAD since Release 2.17 so it's not like I am brand new at all of this. So, now I will get off of my soapbox. Has anyone else out the felt this frustration? If so, how are you dealing with it? Any ideas?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Some of the programing changes the Filedia variable. Change it back to 1.

wrote in message news:5007202@discussion.autodesk.com...
I wonder if anyone can help... no options or settings have been changed
within Civil 3D (that i am aware of anyway) but whenever i try open, save,
import, export etc any drawings/files the browser window where you select
where your file is saved/where you want to save it no longer shows - instead
AutoCad asks me to type in the full file path name of where the drawing is
stored. As you can imagine this is massively annoying as I have to save
direct to my c:\ drive then cut & paste the file were i want it everytime i
save a new drawing. I've tried all the options and help files but can't find
anywhere where to turn this option back on. Does anybody know what i could
have done to cause this and how i can set it back? Thanks
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Did you ever find a solution to your "Save As" problem.  I am having a similar problem and do not know how to correct it.  Please let me know.  Thanks

Message 6 of 6
AllenJessup

If you're having the same problem as the Original Poster the answer first posted by Ron Mills:

Set

cmddia=1 and
filedia=1

Should solve your problem.

BTW Any time the file dialog doesn't show and you're asked for the file name on the command line instead. Entering a tilde (~) should bring up the file dialog box.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report