Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Management

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
theremm
214 Views, 1 Reply

File Management

Hi,

Using Civil 3D 2010 for the documentation of master planning projects within our office. Our sites are typically in the vicinity of ~500ha+ and often topographically constrained/located on very steep land. We are using Civil 3D to determine the viability of our master plans from a 'structural' point of view - ultimately to ensure that the proposed road networks are responsive to topographical conditions and that cut and fill volumes can be achieved on site.

When commencing a project, I will always generate an existing ground surface of the site from a supplied 3D contour file, which will subsequently be data referenced into a project 'master' file (the 'complete' working file for our office). In terms of alignments, profile view, assemblies, corridors and corridor surfaces however - I am unsure as to what the most effective method is to manage this data efficiently, firstly in terms of reducing the size of the 'master' file  and secondly in terms of keeping within project timeframes/budgets i.e. I don't want to have to navigate through a plethora of files every time I need to amend a certain element within the design e.g. the location of a collector road or access street. I am aware of the capabilities of the software in terms of its xref and dref abilities however am hoping to procure examples from others as to how they would approach similar styles of projects.

Thanks for your help

Alexander.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
sboon
in reply to: theremm

This thread may be useful for you.

You should also give serious consideration to upgrading your software at least to 2011 and preferably to 2012 or later.  The advantages of 64 bit software for large projects cannot be overstated IMHO.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report