Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields Don't Update... Seriously?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
JeffWright5789
2029 Views, 10 Replies

Fields Don't Update... Seriously?

Fields don't update...   All check boxes checked for update on Regen, plot, open....  etc..

"FIELDEVAL" set to 31...   Search thru Forum for Remedy...   Any suggestions at this point?

Correction...   Fields update on "PLOT" and "OPEN" (sometimes)...  not regen...  Seriously....?

Appreciate all the help from the Forum
Version: AutoCAD C3D 2010
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: JeffWright5789

Sometimes I need two or three regens in a row to get rid of the ??????'s

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: jmayo-EE

If it's a date/time filed doesn't matter what fieldeval is set to, you need to use field upate.

The Date field is updated by UPDATEFIELD but it is not updated automatically based on the setting of the FIELDEVAL system variable
Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 11
mathewkol

Which fields...be specific.  Many of the date fields don't change as you think they should.  There are write-ups in help about these.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 11

The field reads the "CTAB" variable which is actually kinda cool if they would work.  As a side note, it'd be much cooler of Autocad would report the "ordianal Position" of the tab so we could autonumber the sheets in that particular drawing...

The "offending" field is used in a tittle block.

Message 6 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Is it linked to SSM? perhaps the layout needs updating in SSM

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
JeffWright5789
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the help everyone...  Sometimes It's just faster and less of a headache to manually insert the sheet titles in the 30 drawings...We know this will work.  

In this case, we're only out the 4 or 5 hours trying to get the fields to work...  We would have had to type the titles in anyway if there was no such thing as a fields... so, we're only out that amount of time...   It's only $400 or $500 lost time of production...  

Message 8 of 11

Well here we are...  almost 4 years later and the $%* fields still don't update ...  seriously?   May I suggest getting a 1st or 2nd year computer progamming student on the task to address the issue in a reasonably logical fashion along with using proper programming techniques?

I have a simple field inserted with diesel expression :

$(substr, %<\AcVar ctab \f "%tc1">%, 1, 3)

only works one time though.  if you change the text in the tab the field won't update...  

Tried all values of the fieldeval variable and regen 10 times after each...  tried updatefield, tried manual update...  

I say either make the fields work or eliminate them.

Message 9 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: jwright1962

I have never had a problem with a field updating. But then, I've never tried using a field expression inside a diesel expression. Which, apparently, doesn't work except the first time the diesel expression is run. If you look at the Diesel expression in the field editor after you've created it, the system variable portion has been converted to plain text. To get what you are attempting to do, use ALL diesel and it works just fine:

$(substr, $(getvar, ctab), 1, 3)

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 11
jwright1962
in reply to: Jeff_M

The force is with you Oh Great Obi-wan    $(substr, $(getvar, ctab), 1, 3)  works perfectly.  Thanks so much.

apology to forum for whining...  frustration got the best of me.

Message 11 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: jwright1962

Obi Wan was a hack compared to JeffM.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report