Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields Blocks and Labels

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
327 Views, 12 Replies

Fields Blocks and Labels

Is there a way to dynamically link a label with a block?

For instance, if you have a block in a drawing, and want to label the number of times the block appears in the drawing, is there a way to do that? And have it be dynamically linked so that if I were to delete one of those blocks, it will automatically update the label?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

It will take some light progamming to do this, but it's very possible.

Fields allow you to reference an AutoLISP variable, so you could make a function that counts the blocks and creates a variable of the count. A reactor would be present to update the variable any time you insert, copy, erase. Another reactor could update the field, so you don't have to regen to see the results.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13
Pointdump

TJ,

How about using Attributes? Architects do this all the time with the number of doors, light switches, banquet tables, etc, linking them dynamically to a table. The table in your case would be just one cell.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

The DATAEXTRACTION command is built to do that with no need for additional programing.

DE.png

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
Pointdump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

Every day I learn something new on this Forum. Thank you.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 13
tcorey

I thought he said he wants the field to automatically update when he copies, inserts or erases blocks of a certain name. Will data extraction do that?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Tim

Kind of.

By default you will be prompted to update on plot & publish. You can tweak the system variabl DXEVAL to update in different ways, and/or not even get the prompt.If I understand it correctly setting DXEVAL= 480 would be unencumbered updates on plot, publish, save and etransmit. I use 15 to have updates on plot publish and save (regen would be good but that the best I have); sometimes I like to say no - for whatever reason.

DXEVAL.png

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave

And it can do much more than count blocks; add areas, length, do calculations; convert units, yada yada

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
rl_jackson

I use that command all the time to count parking spaces with this block.

Really convenient export to csv open in excel add a couple expressions to the end and you done.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hi RL

check this one out; regen after stretch 

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
rl_jackson

Joe,

That does quite a few things, certainly wish I had that when I did design work, I could use it now in some instances but with ALTA work, our hands get a little tied and generally just show them as they are stripped along with everything else on site. I cant tell you how many parking lots that I have done that don't have even spacing. It might have at one time, but it never seems to get stripped the same what it was designed or was previously laid out.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza

So true
If you want the HC one let me know

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
rl_jackson

I would certainly like to check it out. I have a couple of dynamic blocks myself. Scale Bar, and a POB POC call that show 3 different arrows flips resizes and the like. But have been consider using custom mleader arrows to do what the dynamic block does.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report