Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Lines - Elevation Lock

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ailynrent
4761 Views, 5 Replies

Feature Lines - Elevation Lock

Hello all. I am very new to Civil 3d and I am working on my first grading project. To get my proposed surface I drew in all of my major features (block wall, swale, basin) with featurelines. Is there a way to lock these feature lines so that these core elevations do not change when I am experimenting with the grading tools? At times when I have used the grading tools it changed all of my elevations, and even when I hit undo they stayed altered. I also tried locking the layers that the feature lines are on, but that didn't work either.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AllenJessup
in reply to: ailynrent

You can't Lock the feature lines and I agree that their unresponsiveness to an Undo is a pain. What you need to do is put any featurelines and grading objects you don't want to affect those feature lines in another site. Create a site called Work or Temp1 or whatever you wish. Do all your trials in there and then move what you want to hold to the original site.

You can also copy objects from the original site to the work site to test the interaction. That way you can go through as many iterations as you want and still have the original work unaffected. Oh. Keep good backups also!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: AllenJessup

What happens if you put them on a locked layer? I haven't experimented with it so I don't know how C3D handles FL's in the same site that are on locked layers.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 6
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

According to the OP. That didn't work for him. I haven't tried it myself. But I might have an opportunity to try in a couple of minutes.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
AllenJessup

I just tried it. I could draw an FL on a Locked layer and it would change FLs on the same locked layer when I created them in the same site.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
ailynrent

Thanks for the answer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report