Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line in Autocad 2012

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jnjhuz
231 Views, 3 Replies

Feature line in Autocad 2012

I have a feature line that I want at a constant elevation and it is going to be part of a new surface. I want to grade 4:1 to the eg surface. The feature line is interacting with the eg surface in that it is geting more elevation points. I want it not to interact with the eg except to grade to the surface. Do I want the eg surface on the same site or a different site as my features lines? If it is on a different site will it still grade to the eg. How can I put my eg on a new site. I can't find what site it is on?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tcorey
in reply to: jnjhuz

Surfaces are not on sites.

If you created your feature line from objects, and you told it to Assign Elevations, there was a check box to Insert intermediate grade break points. This will add more elevation points along the feature line.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 4
owenmull
in reply to: jnjhuz

Feature lines of the same Site will interact with each other, meaning that two feature lines at different elevations that "intersect" in plan view will interact with each other. As you saw, the most recently edited feature line holds. So, at this "intersection," the first feature line behaves as if it was "stapled" to the most recent one. To avoid this, place the second feature line in it's own Site, reset your elevations, and then simply grade to surface.

As tcorey stated, surfaces are not contained in Sites. Sites contain Alignments, Profiles, Feature Lines, Grading Groups, and Parcels.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

Thanks. This is what was happening. In the end I did need them to react to
one another. But I now understood what was happening.

When I graded the proposed contour/feature line to the surface I got a
strange jag in the daylight. When I swap a tin line under the daylight the
jag goes away and shows up one or two places elsewhere on the daylight. Have
you ever had this problem? I'd send a picture but I "fixed" it by not
grading that small piece.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report