Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line from corridor trouble

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1255 Views, 3 Replies

Feature line from corridor trouble

I'm working with civil3d 2014 and having some issues understanding the dynamic relationship of feature lines extracted from corridors and the corridor itself. Whenever I create a feature line from corridor that I want to be dynamic, i make sure the selection box is clicked. The feature line creates fine and when I create another feature line from the newly created feature line, it picks up the correct corridor/feature line elevation. However, if I then change the profile associated with said corridor, the feature line created from my corridor does not update, even if I've deleted any secondary feature lines that were connected to the corridor feature line. That does not seem to be very dynamic to me, and truthfully a big pain in the rear. So what gives? Has anyone had this same issue? Could it be something with my work process that's wrong, or a bug with Autocad? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

First, I'll make sure I understand the situation.

1. You have a corridor and extract a featureline (I'll call FL1) from it.
  2. Keep Dynamic Link is enabled when you extract FL1.
  3. You then create another featureline (FL2) based on FL1.  (How do you create FL2?)
  4. You then modify the profile.

FL1 does not update to reflect the change in profile.  Correct? 

Did the corridor actually update?  If no, rebuild the corridor.

If yes, does the original featureline within the corridor change and leave the extracted featureline unchanged?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Don,

This is the correct understanding. The corridor has been updated (I've tried both a manual rebuild and automatic rebuild).

FL1 does not update regardless of I have deleted FL2 or not.

FL2 had been created by both FL from object and drawing the FL.

Thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 4
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I just tried to reproduce the issue (at least as far as I understand it) and the only way I was able to do so was to set the corridor to NOT rebuild automatically.

When it is set that way (to rebuild automatically) and I change the profile, the linked featureline works fine.

In the following two screenshots, the yellow line is the extracted featureline (which is the daylight line) and the red line is a feature line created by using a grading object from the autofeatureline which grades to an elevation.

The difference between the two screenshots is that when I changed the profile, the corridor updated which updated the extracted featureline which in turn updated the featureline I created based on that.  I used C3D 2014 SP2 for this test.  I'll post the dwg for your reference.

FLFromCorridor2.png

FLFromCorridor1.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report