Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Errors and Crashes

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Mark B
277 Views, 9 Replies

Fatal Errors and Crashes

I'm a new user of Civil 3D. Over the month or so I've been using it, I've had multiple "Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception" errors, and unexplained system lockups.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Civil 3D 2005. We've tried installing the sofware on a Windows 2000 machine, but the problems are continuing.

Has anyone else been having this problem? Any suggestions on what might be causing it?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark B

"Mark B" wrote in message news:28433150.1103051517424.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm a new user of Civil 3D. Over the month or so I've been using it, I've had multiple "Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception" errors, and unexplained system lockups. > > I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Civil 3D 2005. We've tried installing the sofware on a Windows 2000 machine, but the problems are continuing. > > Has anyone else been having this problem? Any suggestions on what might be causing it? Hi Mark, It's difficult to say what the problem could be unless details on the issue are available. Here's a document that describes some practices in writing useful bug reports...the guidelines are very general in nature and would apply to writing bug reports for Civil3D as well: http://www.mozilla.org/quality/bug-writing-guidelines.html Please see the section entitled "How to Write a Useful Bug Report" Thank you, -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 3 of 10
Mark B

I'll be happy to provide as much detail as I can when problems happen in the future.

My question, though, was intended to be more general. Are others encountering fatal errors on a regular basis? (i.e., multiple times per week) I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in this boat, or do I have company?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Mark B wrote: > I'll be happy to provide as much detail as I can when problems happen in the future. > > My question, though, was intended to be more general. Are others encountering fatal errors on a regular basis? (i.e., multiple times per week) I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in this boat, or do I have company? Yes, I have the same problem. I just started using C3D and have only gotten into the point, alignment, TIN and Parcel menus. Not only does it frequently crash, it seems much slower than LDT. I noticed that the swap file grows rapidly - I have seen it over 2G when running C3D only! Also, after a crash, the swap file does not shrink back to normal. That would seem to indicate that C3D has some poor code that is causing a memory leak. But, when that auto lot generator works, it is really slick! If there weren't all the crashes, it would be a real time saver.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Users Tip: Always save your drawing before viewing a corridor model with Object Viewer. You never know if you can get out of it or not. "Art O'Connor" wrote in message news:41bf5cf5$1_2@newsprd01... > Mark B wrote: >> I'll be happy to provide as much detail as I can when problems happen in >> the future. >> >> My question, though, was intended to be more general. Are others >> encountering fatal errors on a regular basis? (i.e., multiple times per >> week) I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in this boat, or do I have >> company? > Yes, I have the same problem. I just started using C3D and have only > gotten into the point, alignment, TIN and Parcel menus. Not only does it > frequently crash, it seems much slower than LDT. I noticed that the swap > file grows rapidly - I have seen it over 2G when running C3D only! Also, > after a crash, the swap file does not shrink back to normal. That would > seem to indicate that C3D has some poor code that is causing a memory > leak. > > But, when that auto lot generator works, it is really slick! If there > weren't all the crashes, it would be a real time saver.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Mark - There are defects that have been reported that we are actively looking into. These include instances of data-specific problems such as grading not able to solve certain type intersections, parcels with specific connection types, etc. I'll post details on how we intend to address these issues shortly. For now, just as Himanshu has requested, please do your best to capture details on issues that you find so that we can duplicate them here and come up with a solution. Thanks Dave S "Mark B" wrote in message news:28433150.1103051517424.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm a new user of Civil 3D. Over the month or so I've been using it, I've had multiple "Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception" errors, and unexplained system lockups. > > I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Civil 3D 2005. We've tried installing the sofware on a Windows 2000 machine, but the problems are continuing. > > Has anyone else been having this problem? Any suggestions on what might be causing it?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Although this is purely anecdotal, I have reduced, and almost eliminated, my fatal errors and crashed by getting away from data (surfaces, alignments, profiles) imported from LDT. Surfaces seem OK, but profiles seem to be what caused the problem. A complicated roadway project that I migrated (via import from LDT) was very unstable. I eventually migrated only the surfaces and recreated the alignments from polylines and the profiles from ascii file data within C3D and the crashes became a rare occurrence. A smaller, simpler job totally imported from LDT seems to work OK. It may have been something in the original data set but it worked perfectly in LDT but not when the definitions were imported into C3D. Remember, this is anecdotal and I can't identify the exact cause, but it seems to have gotten me past the crashes. -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator Mark B wrote: > I'm a new user of Civil 3D. Over the month or so I've been using it, > I've had multiple "Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception" errors, and > unexplained system lockups. > > I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Civil 3D 2005. We've tried > installing the sofware on a Windows 2000 machine, but the problems > are continuing. > > Has anyone else been having this problem? Any suggestions on what > might be causing it?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

"Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:41c16752$1_3@newsprd01... > Although this is purely anecdotal, I have reduced, and almost > eliminated, my fatal errors and crashed by getting away from data > (surfaces, alignments, profiles) imported from LDT. > Surfaces seem OK, but profiles seem to be what caused the problem. A > complicated roadway project that I migrated (via import from LDT) was > very unstable. Karl, maybe this is a good starting point to investigate the problem. Could you run AUDIT on your drawing every now and then to see if any errors are reported at any point? What kind of operations are you generally performing when C3D might crash? If there's a pattern, then we could investigate. Ofcourse, having data would help us tremendously. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I'll pull together the old file I was using that was problematic. If I can't find it, I'll recreate the file from LDT import and tickle it until it giggles . Then I'll run an audit. -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator H Gohel wrote: > "Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:41c16752$1_3@newsprd01... > >>Although this is purely anecdotal, I have reduced, and almost >>eliminated, my fatal errors and crashed by getting away from data >>(surfaces, alignments, profiles) imported from LDT. > > >>Surfaces seem OK, but profiles seem to be what caused the problem. A >>complicated roadway project that I migrated (via import from LDT) was >>very unstable. > > > Karl, maybe this is a good starting point to investigate the problem. Could > you run AUDIT on your drawing every now and then to see if any errors are > reported at any point? What kind of operations are you generally performing > when C3D might crash? If there's a pattern, then we could investigate. > Ofcourse, having data would help us tremendously. >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

"Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:41c1c5ff$1_3@newsprd01... > I'll (...) tickle it until it giggles . Then I'll run an audit. That's the way we do it around here 🙂 Thanks. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report