Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Errors & Unexpected Close

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
bb
Contributor
7532 Views, 38 Replies

Fatal Errors & Unexpected Close

I need help trying to decide if I should give up on moving my office to Windows 7 and reload my systems back to Windows XP.  Here is the situation.  I have three machines running 64-bit Autocad Civil 3-D 2012.  Two are running Windows 7 and one is running in Windows XP.  The two machines running Windows 7 are experiencing a lot of fatal errors and unexpected close errors when people are doing simple 2D work in model space and in paper space.  This is happening to three people on two different machines and the errors occur regardless of the file being worked on.  Although there have been a few crashes over the last few weeks when doing 3D work, the problem seems to be rampant when we are working on 2D tasks.  Friday, the program was crashing approximately 2 - 3 times an hour. 

There are a variety of errors showing up, but here is the latest:

While working in model space, the cursor disappears - when the user hits "save" (everyone knows that moment of panic even if you saved 30 seconds ago!), a message box pops up stating :

INTERNAL ERROR !dbobji.cpp@388

When you leave the error box, the program closed.  When the program reopens, it is fine...for a while.

The file being worked on has a number of references and data shortcuts attached.  The file size is 5.6 mb with about 15 mg of attachments.  I won't try to attach it since it is so big, even when zipped.

I grabbed the installation disks and loaded most of the available english language updates and driver fixes this morning.  I confirmed that the most current version of MS .net  files are properly installed.  One of the users was able to work for about 1.5 hours before crashing after I made the changes, but then it crashed with the message shown above.

System configuration is:

AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz

8 gb RAM

Window 7 64 bit Operating System

2 Acer AL2216W 22 inch monitors with ATI Radeon HD 4250 display adapters

38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
hgohel
in reply to: bb

@bb,

Please confirm that you have driver version 265.70 (certified driver) for the Quadro FX 1700.  Please update the thread after you have run Windows Update and also BIOS and other updates from the system manufacturer.  If the problems continue after these changes, please open a support case with Autodesk.  Thanks.

BTW, when you switch from the ATI Radeon cards to NVIDIA Quadro FX, please remember to completely uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 22 of 39
bb
Contributor
in reply to: hgohel

Thank you for the suggestion.  The machines running 64-Bit Windows 7 have driver version 8.17.12.7533 from May 20,2011 loaded.  Unfortunately, when I went to the NVIDIA website (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx) and look for a certified driver version 265.70 it is not available.  Only version 266.35 comes up when you hit the request for 265.

When I look for an Autocad specific driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/AutoCAD_PD_workstation.html), the newest version for 2011 appears to be version 18.1.6 from February 2, 2011.  Should I go back to the older driver?  None of the Autocad Specific drivers mention 2012 or Civil 3D.

Can you please provide a location to download the driver you want us to download and use?  Is there a date or other piece of information to verify which drivers are the correct version.  I will also need the proper driver for Win XP 64 bit and 32-bit machines.  Thank you.

Message 23 of 39
hgohel

Here's the link to the AutoCAD Graphics Hardware List (http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard).  From there select AutoCAD 2012, your OS, and "workstation card " NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 and you will be shown the result, from which page you can download the driver.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 24 of 39
JeffPaulsen

That link does not work for me.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 25 of 39
bb
Contributor

Jeff, thank you for trying the link.  I also ran into an error message saying the location was not accessible and you are flipped to a generic Autocad "Page Not Available" location.  I continued searching from that point, and went directly to the Hardware Graphics selection page, where Civil 3d is not an option in the product list - when I try either "AutoCad" or  "Autodesk 3ds Max" the design suite choices are all clearly related to the 2D program functions. 

While looking through older emails posted by hgohel, I noticed this same location is continually referred to, so it seems either internal users can access a page which outside users cannot, or there is a new problem with the page. 

I also ran into another thread of unresolved messages from people having problems finding a graphics card driver for NVIDIA 1700 and 1500 for Civil 3D 2012 which I had not found in previous searches.  In that string there were referrals to conflicting version numbers and the inability to find suggested drivers.  Looks like this is an ongoing problem for a number of people, not just our office. 

Please provide another way to reach the drivers you are referring to.  Is there a way you can attach the files to this message string so they can be downloaded?  It looks like making it a single person service request will leave a lot of other people out in the cold.

I appreciate your help in trying to get a resolution to this problem.  I suspect it may be almost as frustrating to you as it is to Users when we have problems accessing a tool you can get to easily.

Message 26 of 39
bb
Contributor

Jeff,

I think I found a 64 bit Windows 7 version of the 265.70 driver on this page: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert/details?siteID=123112&catID=16303594&id=16391880&product=1...

the XP 64 bit looks like it is at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert/details?siteID=123112&catID=16303594&id=16391880&product=1...

amd the XP 32 bit came up at this page.  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert/details?siteID=123112&catID=16303594&id=16391880&product=1...

I am downloading now and will post an update once we get them loaded and see if it seems to stop the crashes for a day.

Message 27 of 39
JeffPaulsen

I found the following link that appears to be the one that Himanshu described; however, I cannot verify that it is the same site.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert?siteID=123112&id=16391880

Select your Product, OS and Card Vendor and pick Find. Then choose your card from the list. A separate window will open for the specific card. On this window is a Download Driver button.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 28 of 39
wfberry
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

You should be able to get to it from here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/index?siteID=123112&id=3571865&linkID=9240697

How come it seems to me that the majority of "crash participants" appear to be using Xeon processors?

(Except Joe)

Bill

Message 29 of 39
hgohel
in reply to: wfberry

Apparently the forum software included the closing parenthesis as part of the URL and that's why the link does not work when you click on it.  However, the URL is correct - just copy/paste it and remove the parens around it:

http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard

This short URL is better to bookmark than the final redirect, as that may possibly change.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 30 of 39
JRedell
in reply to: wfberry

Count me in as another who gets fatal errors and crashes without a Xeon processor. I can't work for more than a couple hours without the program either freezing or fatal erroring. I have no idea what to do at this point.

JRedell, PLS
Erlandsen
Civil3d 2012
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
Win7 64bit
Quadro FX1700 (Driver 265.70)
8GB RAM
Message 31 of 39
wfberry
in reply to: JRedell

If it were me, here is the first two steps I would try.

1. Repair of your Civil 3d installation.  (about 30 minutes)

or

2.  Change graphic card.

Bill

Message 32 of 39
hgohel
in reply to: JRedell

@JRedell,

Out of consideration for the original poster of this thread, please start a new thread with details about your problems.  Thanks.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 33 of 39
bb
Contributor

Original poster here...anyone else with problems running 2012 with a f1700 is definitely welcome to weigh in.  To Bill...we have tried reinstalling, and unfortunately, we don't have the money to switch around between "approved" graphics cards in the hope we hit one that will actually work well.  For small firms, keeping current versions of Autocad is a big expense line...trying to constantly spend $500 to $1000 a year per workstation for the newest and biggest available graphics card is just not an option.  If there are alternatives, we need to find them.  If we do have to purchase new hardware to continue using the Autocad programs, we need Autocad to help us minimize the frequency and cost.  Over three years, it starts to get more viable to make changes, although still frustrating, because we are trying to limit machine upgrades to a four year cycle since software requires constant expenditure. 

Update on experience after loading the 265.70 driver.  Still experiencing crashes, although we appear to be down to approximately two or three a day, rather than one or more every hour.  Still hoping there is some chance to find a resolution. 

Himanshu, how do I go about opening a private problem ticket?

Message 34 of 39
JRedell

One thing I tried that seemed to help out, and I can't recall if this was mentioned, was to clear out my Windows "Temp" folders and reset my AutoCAD user profile back to get a fresh run at it. Those two things have eliminated much of the instability I was seeing.

JRedell, PLS
Erlandsen
Civil3d 2012
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
Win7 64bit
Quadro FX1700 (Driver 265.70)
8GB RAM
Message 35 of 39
hgohel

Hi bb,

With your supported Quadro FX1700, you really don't need new hardware.  So with the certified driver, can I assume that the disappearing cursor problem went away, and that now you are interested in resolving other crashes?  If so, did the driver upgrade help, or perhaps the BIOS updates from your system manufacturer?

For crashes within Civil 3D, the first thing I would do is to submit CER (crash) reports by responding to the window with your email address and details about what you were doing when the application crashed.  When you open a support case, you can inform support personnel that you have done that, and with your email address, they can look up crash information which will be helpful.

For information on how to open a support case, visit our product site http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d , then click on the "Support" tab, select "Troubleshooting & Getting Help from Autodesk" and finally, one of the options under that -- support from resellers, subscription login, or per-incident support, as appropriate to your case.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 36 of 39
michael

We have had similar issues, mainly when closing drawings, with Building Design Suite Premium 2012, Running mainly 2D AutoCAD. 

As you close a drawing (*.dwg in AutoCAD), the Fatal Error will help you close it faster i guess.

No real help here, but from reviewing everyones specs who have similar problems, and most everyone saying its a 'horsepower and memory' issue, i say its not entirely that, because we have a mid-range graphics card with 2GB onboard, and more than enough memory, and more than enough processing power to work with AutoCAD.  Feels like a software issue somewhere, i would hope there is a hotfix on the way.  Win 7 is a resource hog, and AutoCAD 2012 is as well.    

Dell T3500

Win 7 x64

ATI FirePro V5900 (with certified drivers)

Intel Xeon Quad 3.07Ghz (W3550) 

16 GB Ram

Message 37 of 39
Westhills
in reply to: michael

Not sure I have a constructive answer but I can say what I have works nearly flawlessly. Specs are in my tag. I will say the biggest issues are RAM and Processor. While having lots of cores is great, I have 8 cores, C3D only utilizes 1. Its terrible if the individual core speed is slow. Hopefully Autodesk gets it together on this. I mean, all video games now make use of all the cores! So why not C3D? The other bigger is win 7 64 bit. You need 8 megs minimum to avoid issues. This because the win 7 64bit environment will use almost twice as much ram as the 32 bit. Its taken me a long time to get the mix right but I have custom built 7 Machines specially for C3D in the last two years and the crashes (usually memory related) have all but disappeared. Cheap hardware will always cost you more in lost time.

Good Luck!!

PS Always make sure you have the latest drivers and updates. It makes a difference. 

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 38 of 39
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Westhills

Similar issue from a poster in the LT Forum.

The !dbobji.cpp@388 can be created on my system as well.

After perusing this thread I do not believe that it is a Graphics or Hardware issue.

Different Graphics, OS, and Computer specs.

Message 39 of 39
dipen
in reply to: Charles_Shade

crap... I would have preferred being wrong and having a solution. 😉

hopefully Dean can help us out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report