Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Errors A Plenty

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
shannyb433
542 Views, 8 Replies

Fatal Errors A Plenty

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced Fatal Errors when editing large amounts of MText? I usually have to insert a good amount of drawing notes that we keep in word documents on our network and i find that the process of editing them causes me to Fatal Error when trying even the simplest edit, like erasing a sentence or changing a name.

I am sure someone will respond with the advice to edit the document in word before copy/pasting it into CAD, but the documents are locked for editing as is our standard practice for the general notes that we use.

I am going to make a dummy drawing in hopes of making my changes in an empty drawing, (although I strongly feel this is not a file size issue but a word to CAD translation issue), but if anyone knows why this happens, can you please shed some light? I, along with the others in my department would greatly appreciate it!

Till then, thank you!

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: shannyb433

What version of C3D? How about your system specs?

I have a large number of notes inserted from Word that I edit on a fairly regular basis. I have never crashed while doing so.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
shannyb433

I am using Civil 3D 2011, gasp-I know. System specs? I cantell you that i have a 64 bit machine, 12 gig of Ram, Windows 7 Intel Core 7I, 3.4 gigahetz...

I had to go ask the IT guy so I apologize if my attempt at a response is punchy.

P.S.-This happens to everyone here although i feel like it is usually me. And keep in mind that at times i have a 24x36 sheet of just mtext.

Message 4 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM

Does the fatal error have 8 or 9 characters?  If it is 8 characters (hexadecimal) with an "h" at the end, it is a hardware failure.  If it's 9 characters with an "h" at the end, it is related to the graphics card.  Try updating the graphics driver if that's the case. 

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 9
Jeff_M

Your machine is nearly identical to mine, so I would say that isn't the problem. I just opened a drawing in 2011 that has 2 full 24 x 36 pages mtext and can edit it at will. My Text Style is annotative and set to be 0.1" in PS, using the Tahoma Font.

Do you have all Service Packs installed for C3D2011?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 9
tcorey

Are you using a single mtext object for the entire sheet? If so, what if you break it into several mtext objects and then edit one at at time?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

@trogers wrote:

Does the fatal error have 8 or 9 characters?  If it is 8 characters (hexadecimal) with an "h" at the end, it is a hardware failure.  If it's 9 characters with an "h" at the end, it is related to the graphics card.  Try updating the graphics driver if that's the case. 

All these years and I had no idea about this. Thanks, Todd!

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 9
shannyb433
in reply to: tcorey

Yes-One GIGANTIC text object. Perhaps that is my best option. Thank you

Shannon B. White

Lennon, Smith, Souleret
Engineering, Inc.
Civil Engineers and Surveyors
Message 9 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: tcorey

It's funny you say that because I have been using Autodesk products for 22 years and I just heard about it this week from an old timer.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report