Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Error when defining surface with ADF file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tkechely
579 Views, 3 Replies

Fatal Error when defining surface with ADF file

I have downloaded ArcGrid (ADF) files from the USGS and am trying to define a TIN surface in Civil 3D with those files.  I have done this in the past without difficulty but now I get a fatal error and the system crashes in the middle of the process.  The ADF files are large, approximately 465 meg, and cover an entire USGS quad area.  Is there any tricks or sollutions that would allow me to use this data source to create surfaces without my system crashing?

The system I am using is a Dell Intel Xeon CPU, W365@3.20GHz with 24 GB RAM, 64 Bit OS.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tcorey
in reply to: tkechely

Do you happen to have Infrastructure Design Suite Premium or Ultimate? You could attach the file in InfraWorks and export to IMX from there. If you define model extents as a sub-set of the entire surface, the IMX export would cause less processing for Civil 3D.

InfraWorks will perform the initial ADF import far faster than will Civil 3D.

I started a Civil 3D import of a 465mb ADF about twenty minutes ago. This is my Civil 3D screen now (it's frosted over, still trying to import:)

Civil 3D.png

Then I started the Infraworks import of the same file. After five minutes:

Infraworks.png

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 4
tkechely
in reply to: tcorey

I do have Infraworks but didn't know it did that. I will give it a try and hopefully get this resolved.  Thank you for your guidance and I will give an update after I try it.

Message 4 of 4
tkechely
in reply to: tcorey

That worked perfectly! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report