Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Error when changing Paper Space Viewport Orientation.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cglhusky
1215 Views, 8 Replies

Fatal Error when changing Paper Space Viewport Orientation.

I often have the need to change the orientation of my vieports to better fit my project.

I often, and I mean 9/10 times get one or more fata errors when try to do so.

For clarification I am grabbing the wheel in the top right corner between N and E and rotating the view. When I release the drawing is not in view. Then the program crashes.

It is very frustrating and adding hour on to my day.

CPU: (Brand NEW)

MSI GT70

Intel Core i7-3610QM

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670M/3G GDDR5

12 (+4) GB of RAM

I know I am not running a quadro but I should still be able to handle this type of task.

Please help, no settings or updates I can find solve the problem!

Thank you!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
troma
in reply to: cglhusky

Don't use that wheel!

Try DVIEW TWIST instead.

There's a lot of things that should work, but don't; or work badly.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: troma

Hi,

>> Don't use that wheel!

Do you mean the viewcube? If so why do you train anyone not to use that, it's great to use it, for 2D view-twisting as well as for 3D isometric views and even for free orbiting; switching between parallel and perspective projection and ....

Or do you have any reason (reproducable) why I'm wrong working with it, loving it and training it?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: cglhusky

Hi,

>> I often, and I mean 9/10 times get one or more fata errors when try to do so.

That's 90% more than I saw yet, anyway lets start with

• do you have installed the latest servicepack for Civil3D2012?
  • do you have searched for more current gc-drivers?
  • have you tried to play with hardware-acceleration (command _3DCONFIG ==> Manual Tune)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 9
troma
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Or do you have any reason (reproducable) why I'm wrong working with it, loving it and training it?

- alfred -

OK, so I rarely need to do any of the things you're talking about, so we're approaching this from different angles and workflows. Maybe this is a useful tool for some people, just not for me. But here's my biggest problem:

In a display locked viewport, if you click on the viewcube, it will change your view.

What on earth are they thinking?? What is the point of locking a viewport? Why would you put such a dangerous tool in the drawing space instead of out on a toolbar somewhere, and make it huge (by default) to boot, so it is just too easy to click and drag on it by accident while trying to do something else?

If I want to twist in 2D, I will use DVIEW TWIST so I know exactly what angle I'm twisting. Then I save the view and I can use that view to switch back and forth in model space and also to set up my viewports. Then I lock the viewports.

If I want to rotate in 3D....well it's been so long since I've wanted to that I'd have to think about it. But I know that I don't want to accidentally rotate my view by half a degree off the xy plane and work in my drawing for a couple of hours before I notice! So I've turned off the viewcube and advised the rest of my office to do the same.

A sharp knife in the kitchen drawer is a useful tool. A sharp knife in a child's toybox is just asking for disaster.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> In a display locked viewport, if you click on the viewcube, it will change your view.

If I lock my viewport I can't access the viewcube-functions like twisting or orbit or anything changing the display-settings.

So what product (Civil3D?) and what version (+ what servicepack) are you speaking about?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 9
troma

I just went and checked, and it still changes the view despite the viewport's being locked.  Although the second time I tried it just locked up & I had to do a 'End Task' to get out, so similar problem to the OP.  I wonder if OP has their viewport locked too.

Where do you find the service pack information in 2011?

Here's a copy/paste from the product information:

[Product Information Properties]
Wednesday 13 June 2012 13:49:20

License name: AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

Computer host name: SYS154

Product serial number: [DELETED]

License type: Network

License expiration date: None

License behavior: Permanent

License usage type: Commercial

License ID: [DELETED]

License server: [DELETED]

Mark Green

Message 8 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

tried it now with Civil3D 2011 x64 German, (E 208.N.0 Version 3)

...and it works as designed, if the viewport is locked I can't do twist (or similar) with viewcube.

>> Where do you find the service pack information in 2011?

Start command _ABOUT, you'll get this dialog then, including your current version (incl. servicepack)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 9
troma

Thanks!  Used to be in the "Product Information" in 2008...

I have E.116.N.0,AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 Version 2

Maybe an upgrade would fix this.  Not something I can just do unilaterally though.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report