Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FATAL ERROR ON QSAVE, SAVEAS, SAVE

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jtroutt
1118 Views, 9 Replies

FATAL ERROR ON QSAVE, SAVEAS, SAVE

I am having issues with Fatal Errors every time I do a qsave or saveas.  From the other postings, it appears this is not a common problem.  I can open a drawing and everything seems fine, but if I do a qsave as soon as I open it, it crashes.  It has several different unhandled exception errors that pop up and occasionally tells me it is out of memory.  audit/recover on the drawing finds no problems.  Current drawing size is 5 MB with only minor grading/surface features involved.

Currently running C3D2012 on

windows xp serv pack 3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5CPU

760@2.80GHz

2.80 GHz, 3.49 GB RAM

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

J

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
michael.robertson
in reply to: jtroutt

2 things:

1. Do you have any applications that run when a file Saves (like a QC program)

2. If you can post the exception errors it might give an idea of where to look.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 10
jtroutt
in reply to: michael.robertson

Just had an Out of Memory error. Restart. On Restart: FATAL ERROR" Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x80000085 Exception at 19d64aaeh and 0xe801fc45 exception at e801c45h.  Friday's errors consisted of Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x6edf184c exception at 6edf18ch, 0xeb1c432d exception at eb1c432dh.  Haven't looked them up yet to decipher what they are.

Message 4 of 10
clicharowicz

I have been having the same issue. I am a civil drafter and the only thing that may be runiing in the background is windows explorer or my outlook program.

It happens a few times a week. I chalked it up to legacy drawing issues. I have also had the out of memory error. I did however have alot of plans open so I thought I made that happen.

Cynthia

Message 5 of 10
Sinc

Best solution to this problem is to get off of Windows XP and onto Windows 7 x64.  I realize that it can be difficult right now to upgrade your hardware, but it's actually a relatively cheap solution, when compared to all the lost time you can suffer when using older hardware or OS.  (And actually, your CPU would probably work decently, if you had more RAM and Win 7 x64...)

Sinc
Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M

You should also try to keep the Temp folder that C3D uses cleaned out. C3D will leave behind many, many, small files that can contribute these types of problems once a limit has been reached.

This is typically just the Windows TEMP folder, unless you've instructed C3D to do otherwise.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 10
clicharowicz

Good thing I am already on windows 7! But still have the issue. Our temp folders dump everyday. I still think it it legacy drawing issues.

Cynthia

Message 8 of 10
thepworth
in reply to: clicharowicz

Maybe obvious question, but have you tried running "AUDIT" and also "-Purge" (note hyphen) and use "R" option to get rid of the pesky/useless regapps?  (I see it's mentioned in the OP)  also, is the template .dwt you're using created in an older version?  Perhaps creating a new template & importing the styles & settings will help.

Message 9 of 10
clicharowicz

No I have not! Good idea. I am sure I have purged the documents before but not the way you said too. I know part of the issue is so many drafters have worked here and everyone brings their own unique "way" of doing things. I have seen some "things" let me tell you. Just part of being the New Gal though!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Cynthia Licharowicz

Message 10 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: clicharowicz

REGAPPS can really infest your entire system, if you copy-and-paste or "insert" drawings from one to the other.

It seems that all you really have to do is copy-and-paste even a single element from one drawing to another, and all the REGAPPS may come "along for the ride".  There's one client we work with who has gotten every drawing he uses infected with some 120,000 REGAPPS.  He'll send me a 3.5MB drawing (created in LDD 2008, which he's still using), and I can do a "-purge R" and get it down to 500K.  I can't imagine how much extra he's spending on his backup system, when he's bloated every 500K drawing up to 3.5MB...

I even sent him a lisp script that would help him clean all these up and told him how to add it to his acaddoc.lsp, but we STILL get these huge drawings from him...  Oh well.  As they say, "You can lead a horse to water..."  And that's not even getting into the fact that his drawings ALSO have tons of Annotative Scales, bloating the size even further, and slowing down performance by a significant margin...  There are some simple tricks in ACAD that can really make your life much easier, IF you understand them and know to take advantage of them...

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report