Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to open FDO connection. Couldn't resolve proxy name.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1196 Views, 9 Replies

Failed to open FDO connection. Couldn't resolve proxy name.

Ok, I've been beating my head against the wall trying to utilize the Data connection tools in Civil 3d 2014.  All I ever get is the following error:

Failed to connect.

Failed to open FDO connection.

Couldn't resolve proxy name.

I've read the posts regarding the proxy server and double checked the troubleshooting recommendations Autocad site has to offer. (I already had the all_proxy enviro settings and my server is not a proxy server)  Must be something I am missing?  I really need to be able to connect to WMS data, specifically through usgs servers.  This would extremely expedite the way I perform preliminary work now(download files form National Map Viewer---AIM---then....Civil 3d)  If that is what I need to do to get elevation data and orthoimagery, so be it.  But.... I know the use of WMS sites would help extremely.

Thanks in any help!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

J,

I haven't used WMS, so no clue on what's happening there. But USGS has tons of different ways to grab high-quality images, and just about every state has a site for images. And what about the easiest way ever, Bing Live Maps?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 10
Murph_Map

What WMS server are you trying to connect to? Can you post the link here to it? 

Try this site

http://demo.cubewerx.com/demo/cubeserv/cubeserv.cgi?version=1.3.0

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 10
rl_jackson

When I started using WMS in C3D2013, I had some issues initially. I resolved it by going to the my C3D shortcut, right-clicking and selecting the properties, then advanced. And setting C3D to run as Administrator. Not saying this will solve your problem. But it may help.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

These are 2 urls I've tried(FEMA link to FIRMS & National Map WMS):

https://hazards.fema.gov/gis/nfhl/services/public/NFHLWMS/MapServer/WMSServer

http://raster.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/Orthoimagery/USGS_EROS_Ortho_1Foot/ImageServer/WMSServ...

...but seriously guys, I've tried 20 or so. 

I also tried the "run as administrator," check box, and I am running as an admin, still no dice...

Message 6 of 10
rl_jackson

Try this one for FEMA

https://hazards.fema.gov/gis/nfhl/services/public/NFHLWMS/MapServer/WMSServer?version=1.3.0

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

rl,

Just tried and same error message.  Is my firewall blocking access?  I check all me settings and everything look normal with med or low security settings?

Got to be something very elementary that I am missing...

Message 8 of 10
rl_jackson

jgranberry,

OK, my next questions is what version our you using.

If you are using C3D15 that is part of the Infrastructure Design Suite then you need to download the Map15 Servicepack.

If you are using just C3D15 and do not have the Suite, I believe your out of luck.

Otherwise, I'm unsure of what your issue could be. I use the exact WMS connection I posted on a daily basis to extrapolate flood data into my drawings, verse the insert and scale of the FEMA pdf or image.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

rl,

I'm running the 2014 Ultimate Design Suite.  So all the bells and whistles, as far as your Civil products you would need, but it is all 2014.  SO no help there.

And my end goal is to be able to do exactly what you are doing with the software on a day to day basis using the Data Connect utility.  For years I've utilized the "drop and scale" method, but I know this is inefficient.  

Thanks though...

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Yes, I don't actually have a problem acquire the data by downloading it, I just want something more seamless. Something I can access immediately and without the time and memory space it takes for data to occupy.

WMS appears to be what I'm looking for, but just can't get it to function correctly...

JG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report