Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F3, F9, F10 getting confused (C3D)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
troma
1185 Views, 9 Replies

F3, F9, F10 getting confused (C3D)

Originally posted in plane ole' ACAD thread, but advised to try over here for any advise.

Working in Civil 3D 2011

Sometimes, but not predictibly, my F buttons get confused.  So I hit F3, and it turns POLAR on or off, or F10 toggles the SNAP.  

I think it only happens when I'm in the middle of a command.  For example, I'm moving something, and realize I want OSNAP or POLAR either on or off, or want to switch both of them.  Once I start by hitting one of the F buttons (F10 for example), it seems the other one takes on that one's role.  Then I can just keep hitting (for example) F3, and it will say:

<Osnap off>  <Polar off> <Osnap on> <Polar on> <Osnap off> <Polar off> <Osnap on> <Polar on>

I am working with a wireless keyboard, as are a few others in the office.  Seems like I'm the only one with this problem, but then I'm probably the only one who uses all my F buttons, rather than just clicking.  And most of the others with wireless keyboards are working in 2008, not 2011.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: troma

Does your keyboard have a Function Lock or F Lock button? If so try hitting this button once and see if it helps.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

No it doesn't, thankfully.  I had that at home for a while and it killed me that every time I turn on the computer the F buttons don't work (had to turn them on every time).  Stupid idea, whoever came up with that one.

All suggestions welcome though!

Mark Green

Message 4 of 10
jmayo-EE

Could be a driver issue or hardware malfuntion as well. I would try to use a different keyboard first to make sure it's the hardware or driver.

If this was the case and you installed drivers specific to that keyboard, I would try removing them and see if the default Windows drivers corrected the issue. Of course if you did not install specific drivers I would see if the manufacturer had any.

At a min. this should help you see if the issue is with the keyboard or C3D.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Good idea.

My problem is it is so random, so it's hard to do a test and say "that stopped it" because I don't know how to make it happen.  Maybe it's some glitchy drawing.  Or maybe it was related to my floating commandline.  I've redocked it now, because it causes too many glitches and extra clicks etc when floating.  But I'm pretty sure I ran into this before I tested it floating.  Like I said, very random.  But next time it happens I will see if I can do it consistently, and then uninstall the driver.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 10
sboon

I posted the same issue here a while back.  Eventually the problem seemed to disappear on its own - no idea how or why.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/2013-bug-Function-Key-toggles/td-p/3411077

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 10
troma
in reply to: sboon

I've heard of a few other glitches associated with having the commandline floating, and this seems to be another one (for me at least).  I redocked it, and haven't seen the problem in the couple of weeks since.

Thanks for the help people!

(This isn't exactly a 'solution', rather a workaround.  But since there's no "Accept as Workaround" button, I'm using the closest thing to it.)

Mark Green

Message 8 of 10
TylerMelancon

issue must still be around because we just recently upgraded form 2000 to 2014 and this bug is fricken driving me insance!! I have been in touch with Autodesk and we are trying to find  solution! HELP!! I have threads posted around, you can read my story and see if that can help make a determination!

Message 9 of 10
gunnarl

I've had the same issue on and off as well. I haven't been able to tie it down to anything in paticular. It's followed me through the last 3 versions of autocad. My command line is/has always been docked, so i don't think that is the only cause. I have to close autocad and reopen and it will 'fix' it, until it breaks again. HAHA.

Message 10 of 10
TylerMelancon
in reply to: gunnarl

Yes exactly. That is what we do. Just close out and reopen and continue
beasting until we find a definite cause and solution.

Tyler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report