AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Active Contributor
ashleystrand
Message 1 of 4 (234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Extracting polylines from a corridor

234 Views, 3 Replies
02-17-2014 02:32 PM

I am trying to create a "proposed work" file that is a 2d file, basically a birds eye view of my corridor.  I have a corridor and I am trying to extract polylines from it.  I can get as far as extracting the lines and making them into polylines.  My problem is that the polylines are one line running the length of the corridor, then when I explode them they become very small line segments.  I would like a tangent line, followed by a curve, then a tangent, and so on (similar to how an alignment is broken up).

Can anyone help me with this?

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 2 of 4 (227 Views)

Re: Extracting polylines from a corridor

02-17-2014 02:44 PM in reply to: ashleystrand

Guessing you may know that Corridors can't display curves so if on a curve, what you're trying to accomplish

might not be so easy.

Offsetting the alignment or alignments using a simple AutoCad OFFSET command may provide more desirable

polylines to create a 2d file.

Extra vertices in Polylines can be cleaned up by using the MAPCLEAN command.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Valued Mentor
owenmull
Message 3 of 4 (218 Views)

02-17-2014 03:07 PM in reply to: ashleystrand

I believe that C3D draws each feature line as straight lines between frequency lines. So thats why when you extract it, it is not a curve, just a polyline with a bunch of vertices. You may have to free hand the curve portions.

If these lines are to be used for 2D purposes only, why not simply offset the Alignment to either side however many offsets you need, and use those? That will generate a smooth linetype such as what you're seeking.

HTH

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit
NVidia Quadro K3000M Dual Monitor
32.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz
Civil 3D 2013 SP 2
Message 4 of 4 (179 Views)

02-18-2014 12:47 AM in reply to: ashleystrand

I'd agree with the comments about offsetting the alignment but you can use the vanilla AutoCAD JOin command to join all the line segments back together again quite easily......and this will be a 3D polyline

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.