Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Boundary of Grading Object

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3814 Views, 8 Replies

Extract Boundary of Grading Object

I like the 'Extract" feature for surfaces, where I get get the contours or boundary of a surface in PL form without having to explode the surface. I have not figured out how I can do that same thing for grading objects. So far I have been exploding grading objects and then remaking them. Seems cumbersome...is there a command somehwere I'm missing?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
miked
in reply to: Anonymous

If I am understanding you correctly you want the boundary where a grading meets a surface or similar.

There is no way to extract the boundray as far as I know. But a work around would be to use the offset comand and offset the boundary feature line 1 unit and then offset that feature line back again and delete the 1 unit offset line.

NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 3 of 9
sboon

If you create a surface from the Grading group then you can display and extract the boundary of that instead.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you for the replies, some good ideas although I think the next release of C3D should just have a button that does it since I'm doing this task repeatedly all the time. 

Message 5 of 9
sboon

I have posted to another thread the method for extracting a featureline from a grading object - by moving it to another site.  I am curious though about why you need to extract these lines.  Are you using them for another grading or some other reason?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Often I am creating surfaces which need to tie into existing grade, and so when I make the boundary of these surfaces, it is a conglomeration grading object daylight lines. If I don't specify a boundary, the surface will triangulate outside of the grading object feature lines in concave areas. So, te easy fix for me is to make one great big boundary. Also, I will never use 3d objects as surface boundaries, as that will usually crash my computer.

Message 7 of 9
Sinc

If you do this all the time, then you may want to look at third-party support, where you can not only extract the boundary, but also prune it at the same time, so you don't end up with tons of unnecessary PIs in the resulting polyline:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_Extract2D.htm

Sinc
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

This looks really helpful. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
codee

Try "lineworkshrinkwrap" command on the Grading Object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report