Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting terrain mesh into landxml, possibly as a point cloud

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
tbranan
2033 Views, 20 Replies

Exporting terrain mesh into landxml, possibly as a point cloud

I already own 3d studio max, and Maya, and it seems neither can resolve my current issue. I have a peice of geographical terrain mesh that I've imported in from 3d studio max. its a fairly high polygon count, about 2.2 million. I'm trying to see if Civil 3d will do what I need. as far as I can tell, it will, but I haven't used autocad of any kind since about 1995. Things have obviously changed.

First problem is the mesh seems to have come in Y up instead of Z up, but thats not a dealbreaker although it'd be better if it didn't.

second is all the edges between vertices seem to have been bezied, or curved at the very least. The mesh is extremely unrespnsive even though it works fine in Max. again, this may be not too big a deal.

third, if posible, I need to create a point cloud from this, then export it to LandXML. I'm only using a trial version of civil 3d at the moment cause I need to see if it will actually do this or not before plunking down the money, and buying it would take like 5 weeks of beauracracy to get through. I've looked at the help files and I'm not finding the point cloud options where they say and exporting to LandXML doesn't seem like a quick file/export kind of option. And I can't find that where it says in the help file either..

I'm fully ready to call myself ignorant on all this, cause I am. My end result is to get this into 3d Analyst in ArcMap. Trying to figure out all the steps hasn't been easy. If someone could at least say its possible, that would be nice. If someone could say yes, its possible with what you have, and here is more or less how, that would be fantastic.

thanks to all

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
tbranan
in reply to: AllenJessup

I got back into work tuesday to find my pc's boot drive had commited suicide and have had to spend the last few days getting it back up to a usable state. luckily all the data is stored seperately so nothing important was lost.

I took a look at the surface properties, statistics tab and its blank, so clearly I've either not moved the faces to the surface or something has gone sideways.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report