Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Feature Lines to ACAD 2007

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
974 Views, 11 Replies

Exporting Feature Lines to ACAD 2007

Hello,

I'm currently using the Autocad Civil 3D 2014 on daily basis for urban infraestructure design. When using Autocad Civil 3D 2013, I always would create feature lines from corridors and then export this file to a ACAD 2007 version, which would read the feature lines as 3D polys. The company's topographer could then use this file to make his markings on the field very easily.

Now, when I do the same process using  Autocad Civil 3D 2014, the ACAD 2007 file won't present the feature lines as 3D polys, but as 2D polys. This presents a major inconvenient, because I now have to export the file to ACAD 2007, open it in  Autocad Civil 3D 2013, rebuild te surface from the design contours and create a feature line from the design surface; export the surface AGAIN to ACAD 2007 and FINALLY I'll get the 3D poly my topographer can read. 

I know there's go to be some easier way to do this. Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't have 2014 to test anything in, but try exploding the feature lines first. Does that make 3D polys?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Yeah, the problem is opening the file in any previous Civil version. If i just explode the feature lines and open the file in an older version of CIVIL, the file doesn't work (if a file is created in a newer version of Civil, it can't be read in an older version). If i export the file to an older version, the feature lines or 3D polys will have no elevation, which never happened before in older CIVIL versions.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 12
troma

I mean explode, then export.

Do 3D polys lose their elevation-data with the export too?

Mark Green

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Yes, they lose their elevation as well.

Message 6 of 12
troma

Explode again to lines?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Not working either.
Message 8 of 12
tcorey

Using 2013:

ExporttoAutoCAD2007 yields Polyline, not 3D Polyline. Elevations are at 0 (probably honoring the Elev sysvar.) While in Civil 3D, single Explode yields 3D Polyline with correct elevations.

Using 2014:

ExporttoAutoCAD2007 yields Lines with 0 elevation at the endpoints. Yikes. Explode once yields 3d polyline with correct elevations.

After explode once, using either version, Exporttoautocad2007 maintains the 3D polyline correctly.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 12
sboon
in reply to: tcorey

This is a known issue, which first appeared in the 2013 version.  Try switching to an isometric viewpoint before exporting.  As long as the program is displaying the corridor as a 3d model it will export the same way.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Yes, that's the proper solution. Thank you so much, you saved me tons of work! 

Message 11 of 12
dilsmails

Yes You are right, but what happens to the surface contour lines then, its disappearing and concerted in to triangles. So it does not workes for me
Dileep
Message 12 of 12
sboon
in reply to: dilsmails

What your surface shows in various display modes is controlled by the surface style.  Open that style, switch to the display tab and use the dropdown to see what is being displayed in model mode.  Change the settings to what you want for the export.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report