Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting curved feature lines and retaining the elevations

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tracey.boyle
1013 Views, 5 Replies

Exporting curved feature lines and retaining the elevations

I have a series of curved feature lines in Civil 3D where the elevation varies along the length of the curve. When I export the file in AutoCAD the feature line elevations are 0. In my previous version of 2010 civil 3D this did not happen but now I am running 2012 version and I can't find a way around it.

Why does 2012 Civil 3D not export feature lines the way it did in previous versions and retain the elevations?

How can i overcome the issue?

Tracey

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: tracey.boyle

I can't say I remember that about 2010, but if you switch to a 3D view BEFORE you do the Export, the linework will have proper elevations.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
ericcollins6932
in reply to: mathewkol

I find the same problem, Matt. Exporting to autocad, the feature lines are supposed to convert to 3d or LW plines with elevations depending on what the FL was.

I get 0 elevations out.

It used to work and is "supposed" to work. A bug?

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 6
sboon
in reply to: ericcollins6932

I reported this to Autodesk Support a while back.  The story I got is that this behaviour is what the programmers originally intended.  If you export a drawing from a 2d viewpoint then you get 2d objects at zero elevation, or if you export from a 3d viewpoint then you get 3d objects.  Unfortunately they could not make the feature work correctly, so they disabled it, and left it defaulted to 3d export all the time.

Recently the underlying issue with featurelines was resolved, as part of the fix that allows us to have featurelines which display linetypes correctly.  Once that happened somebody turned the switch for the export option back on, but they didn't tell anyone else.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
Ienlov
in reply to: tracey.boyle

When I export in WORLD ucs the feature lines after export have a 0 elevation...

We need the feature line elevation in plan and not in 3d visualization, this bug happens after civil 3d 2012...

Somebody could help me?

Thanks

Ienlov

Message 6 of 6
troma
in reply to: Ienlov

Did you try the solution above?
You can always switch it back to a 2d plan view & World UCS after you do the export.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report